"Out of Site" Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Thought you all might want to see a few pics of how I installed my duct collector in my shop. The 900 SF shop space is in an unfinished basement that is actually raised 5-0' above the ground, creating a large (and dry) "crawl" space. I installed my Penn State Dust Collector (DC1BXL; 1HP; 850 CFM) on a small platform and plugged it into a Shop Fox Remote Control unit on a GFI circuit. I ran 4" S&D PVC to a sweep elbow that emerges behind my 10" Grizzly 1023SLX tablesaw (the orange power cable in the picture supplies 240 Volt power to a floor outlet for the saw). The second pic shows the connection at the floor with flex hose to my chip collector, made from a plan in a Shop Notes for several years ago. Until I run the other duct branches and set up several blast gates to isolate various tools, I just connect my chip collector to my jointer or my planer. The chip collector works great and is very simple to make -- I jointed and planed about 60 BF of 4/4 birch for a recent cabinet project and emptied 5 large garbage bags from the chip barrel before I needed to empty the small bag on the DC. The $40 Remote Control works great, too.

More pics to come as I improve the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

sapwood

New User
Roger
MacRabbet,

The setup you're working on looks great and well thought out. Look forward to sharing your progress.

Hmm, Griz 1023SL and that looks like a Griz BS in the photo :cool:

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a pretty cool setup --- it's good to get the DC out of your way! I'd like to see some more pics of your shop. What else ya got down there in that basement? (I'm a basement dweller myself) Do you have any HVAC or other stuff like that to get in the way too? I know I do!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Under the floor? Never would have thought to do that. Maybe that's because my shop is my garage.

M

McRabbet

We were really lucky when we found this house -- 1800 SF on the main floor and 650 SF Family Rm on the "basement" level; everything my wife and I needed. But then I opened the door :eusa_dancto the unfinished remainder of the basement to find 1150 SF for me -- 250 SF is for storage and the inside HVAC box, another 90 SF for an entry hallway and about 800 SF in two completely empty spaces (one 15 x 25, the other 13 x 32). I waterproofed about 40 lineal feet of concrete block wall toward the front of the house and added stud walls along that perimeter and created the hallway separation for the furnace/storage area. I then wired it with four 20 Amp outlet circuits, a 240V circuit for the table saw and two light circuits and then added eight 2 x 4 drop ceiling fluorescent lights. Insulation came next. And, it has a six-foot french door to the outside to a small porch that is accessible from the front of the house. When I can afford it, I'll add drywall and a suspended ceiling. The big room is the prime power tool area and the long section has my lumber rack and four benches for my drill press, oscillating sander and lathe and hand tool storage. The rear of the long area will become my finishing space.
I do need to take more pictures of my stuff, but I am a Grizzly fan as some have seen. I've got their G1023SLX (left tilt 10" cabinet saw with extension fence); a G0555 14" bandsaw with riser block and a Kreg fence; a G1182HW 6" x 47" jointer (all three on mobile bases); a 6" x 48" Belt / 9" disk sander and a benchtop oscillating spindle sander. Also have a small Delta mitersaw and drill press, a Dewalt planer, a hand-me-down wood lathe, a 10" radial arm saw, an old Craftsman jigsaw and a router table with a Jointech precision fence with a Porter-Cable router inside. I'm planning to add a 3 HP Milwaukee 5625-20 router for the router table and use the P-C router for hand-held work. I also plan to replace the 10" Delta miter saw with the Hitachi C12LCH 12" miter saw (the one with both laser and LCD angle readouts). I promise to post some pics soon.

insomniac said:
That's a pretty cool setup --- it's good to get the DC out of your way! I'd like to see some more pics of your shop. What else ya got down there in that basement? (I'm a basement dweller myself) Do you have any HVAC or other stuff like that to get in the way too? I know I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS