Ouch!!! First Tablesaw Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Yep, I finally paid for not using a blade guard. :wmad:

I was ripping Red Oak Monday afternoon with the fence set to 3 1/2" from the blade and blade set 1" high. I finished a rip and the narrow cutoff started hitting the blade, so I hit the Stop button to remove it from the left side of the blade.
As the blade was spinning down I carefully reached over the blade with my left arm (I stand to the right of the fence) and slid the cutoff away from the blade.
Apparently as I brought my arm back my left thumb 'dropped' down and contacted the front of the still spinning blade at the joint just behind the thumbnail.
I grabbed a handful of clean rags and headed for the ER.

The Doc said the cut is well into the ball cavity of the joint and his diagnosis sheet that I'm taking to the hand surgeon tomorrow said complete laceration of the tendon. But, after he finished whatever he did and put in 5 stitches, I could freely bend and retract the joint so I don't see how the tendon could be lacerated.

Anyhow, I getting a guard. Anyone have experience with the Delta Uniguard on a Unisaw with Biesemeyer fence?

Y'all be careful. :wsmile:

Ken

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken, sorry to hear about the accident. Thank God it was not more serious. Will pray for you speedy recovery.

cptully

New User
Chris
Ken,

Sorry to hear about the trip to the ER! I'm glad to hear that you thumb is apparently OK, but please to pay close attention to what the hand surgeon says.

Best of wishes for the New Yew!

Chris

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Ken,

Sorry to hear! But, glad it wasn't worse!

Cut my thumb (no stitches) on a cheap Ryobi TS. Fence was offline and wood pinched, and my hand slipped into blade. Only took a fraction of a second! Very Scary!

Bled like a stuck pig! OUCH!

Here's to a speedy recovery~!

Matt

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Not the type of news that we like to hear, Ken!:gar-Cr

Hoping that it heals well and there are no complications.

Take Care!

Wayne

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Ken, We hate to hear these things. I just had to have the third surgery on my hand that my tablesaw decided to cut into back in January. I am glad to hear that you are able to bend it. Hang in there and please be careful folks. There are just some things that the guards won't work with though. Steve

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Ken sorry to hear bout your accident. Let me say that table saws scare the $%#$ outta me. Glad to here you have movement. I am hoping for the best for you.

Thanks MArk

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm very sorry to hear about that Ken, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it mends fast and completely. Just over a year ago, I put 13 stitches in my right thumb. Lots of nerves in that area. Still have soreness in mine. Thanks for not enclosing pictures.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ouch!! Sorry about your accident Ken - Thanks for letting us know and remindng all of us that this could happen to any of us no matter what tool we are using - I had a utlity blade stuck 3/4 x1" in to my chest because of me not thinking:BangHead: Man did that hurt

cskipper

Cathy
Ouch! I hate when that happens. Thanks for sharing so maybe we will avoid making the same mistake. I, took, wish you a speedy recovery.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Sorry to hear about the accident. Another option for when you can't use a guard would be the GRR-Ripper. The sales pitch video convinced me to buy one.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Heal fast brother and listen to the doctors regardless if you agree with them or not. Been where you are and I chose not to listen.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just glad it wasn't worse Ken. Does the phrase, "It happened so fast" come to mind? That's the way mine was. The good news is that you were able to post it here, so at least you have most of the use of your hand. Speedy recovery! :icon_thum

Bill

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
>> OUCH <<
Ken I'm sorry and very glad it wasn't worse. There but for the grace of God go I - and lots of others. It is scary how often we hear about these oopses and almosts!!
Hope these shared stories wake the rest of us up!
Sending prayers your way for a quick and complete recovery~

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your accident Ken, glad it wasn't any worse. Listen to the surgeon and do everything they say, I still have my thumb thanks to the fast work of my ER Doc and all my surgeons' skills. Jim

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery

Since you're looking at a new saw, as a physician myself the only tablesaw I would consider is a Sawstop - regardless of what you think of the manipulative lawyer inventor, the safety feature makes it an easy choice, kinda like an airbag on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS