Osmo over Tried and True

smurg

New User
Marty
I don't see an issue if it's going over Tried & True Danish oil, but probably not the Tried & True Original (unless you can confidently remove all of the applied wax). Not sure on the varnish oil but I think it would be ok.

If the piece has seen a lot of handling there may not be much wax on it to begin with (if the original finish was used), so you may be ok anyways.

taylormade

New User
BT
I should have mentioned it is the Tried and True Varnish oil. I've emailed Osmo twice but no response. Anyone have luck contacting them?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Tried n True is Linseed oil beeswax and a couple other things, my guess it has naptha or something like that and a emulsifier oil to get all the ingredients to mix and suspend.
Don't know what the finish objective look is supposed to be but you could just dewax with laquer thinner or something like that, seal with very thinned down shellac - sand lightly with 400-600 tack off and apply topcoat. I would try that out in a inconspicuous place to see its reaction. Or just try to apply directly after cleaning in a tiny spot and look how it reacts. Not much ... but hope it helps you in your task.

smurg

New User
Marty
With it being the varnish oil, there is no wax. I think you should be good to go. Are you only using Osmo because that's what you have on hand? I'd just re-apply the T&T varnish oil if you didn't have either currently.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors