Oscillating spindle sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
The more I read the two BS box books the more I think I might need a Oscillating spindle sander. I did look in my WWS book and I really do not want to pay as much as the Delta and Jet cost. Any opinions welcome.

Read the reviews on Amazon for this one Delta SA350K Shopmaster Boss 1/4 Horsepower not real impressive. Lots of plastic parts
breaking and paper coming off.

Swapped PM's with Dave after his post. Now I need for you BS box experts to tell me if this is enough of an issue not to buy the Ridgid OSS.

Dave's post and the PM's below:

"I have the Ridgid and hae been very happy with it. The dual functions are a nice feature. It doesn't have the stoke length of some of the dedicated OSS (which could be an issue in thick BS boxes), but it has served my needs so far."

Originally Posted by Keye
Dave, I must be looking at this backwards, would not be the first time.

If you have a thin piece of wood I could see where a short stoke could be a problem. Even if you turn the sandpaper you would not use the center part of the sandpaper. With a thick piece of wood you might not sand all of it at one time but all you would have to do is turn the wood over.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Keye
You're not missing anything. You could easily sand from both sides. You might run the risk of them not being parallel (on the same plane) but they would be smooth.

jimwill48

James
HF #95088 OSS price now $90.99. I've had one since they came out with it. Its a clone of the old Ryobi model. The only knock I've heard on thi one is the table is to small. This is easily fixed by making a larger table(not Hard to do) out of MDF or BB.

clear.gif

clear.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
clear.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • Powerful 3.5 AMP motor delivers 58 OPM
  • Heavy duty cast iron table
  • Removable safety switch
  • Built-in dust collection
  • Mountable base and rubber feet
  • CSA-CUS listed
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]120V, 60 Hz, 3.5 amps; 2000 RPM; Overall dimensions: 15-9/16"L x 14-1/8"W x 17"H; Stroke: 5/8"; Includes (5) Rubber sanding spindles, (6) Sanding sleeves, (6) Table inserts, and (4) Spindle washers.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ITEM 95088[/FONT]

James

4yanks

New User
Willie
I read a review in some magazine that gave the Ridgid spindle/belt sander their thumbs up. I too am looking for a moderately priced OSS and am leaning toward the Ridgid.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I read a review in some magazine that gave the Ridgid spindle/belt sander their thumbs up. I too am looking for a moderately priced OSS and am leaning toward the Ridgid.

Just looked at Home Depot online and they have reconditoned ones for $130. Does not seem like a bad deal. Have bought a couple of things reconditioned and they worked out OK.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've got an old Ryobi that I'm happy with but I think that if you are looking for an entry level one you should probably go with the Ridgid from HD, it also has a belt sander attachment. A lot of people on this site have it and swear by it.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I bought the Ridgid one and use it quite alot. I would recommend it. You are right about the bandsaw boxes, OSS's are a godsend for them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have the Ridgid and hae been very happy with it. The dual functions are a nice feature. It doesn't have the stoke length of some of the dedicated OSS (which could be an issue in thick BS boxes), but it has served my needs so far.

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I too have the Ridgid spindle/belt sander and am pretty happy with it. Use it all of the time and it performs well. I'd like a little more power (sometimes I stall the motor), but overall :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS