Oscillating Multi Tool?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
View attachment 199418View attachment 199419To jump in with my own question, we replaced an over stove microwave with a nice ducted fan. The backsplash of subway tile only came up to the base on the microwave. We bought several months ago a stainless "Tree of life" design tile set to go in the middle over the stove. I need to cut the existing subway tile on the wall. I was going to research the best way to do this for the weekend. Don't have a multi tool, but figured it was the way to go. Thoughts?

I would think one would work, as would a diamond blade in a 4 inch angle grinder. With either, the two lower corners will be the hardest part. If plain old soft ceramic, easy. If hard porcelain, maybe a tough go.

gritz

New User
Robert
Bosch! Don't worry, universal blades are available. I also have a collection of others...all unrepairable.

Stickly

New User
Tommy
thinking about this tool for removing grout between tiles on a backsplash.
Any good? something better? recommendations?

The Fein and Festool (made by Fein) are definitely a step above all of the others but if it will be a *just in case I need it* tool the Bosch is decent. I have the Festool and the Bosch. The Festool has better accessories but the bosch is there to hog out stuff when I need to do it too.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought the Festool plunge base for their oscillating tool and it fits my Fein. Used it to make a hole in a stair tread for a newel post.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looked at CPO and found a refurbished Makita for the same price as a new one on Amazon.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sometimes CPO is great, sometimes not. I always check. Only bad luck was a Bosch right angle 12V drill. Never was sure the brush holders were quite right. Worked just fine though. Now, check Walmart's price too. I have been finding better deals than Amazon on some things. Things you might not think about from them. They are not taking Amazon sitting down.

Thinking about some of the comments and tools I sold I should not have. Maybe I should keep my Dremel for tough jobs, and get the M12 for the 90% light handy-dandy jobs instead of the big heavy Makita 18V. Did not use my Bosch drill for years. Sold it. A week later, really needed it. Old Delta miter saw was more accurate than my "upgraded" compound. I bet I would love the Fein, but darn, $400. I thought they were just overpriced until I bought their vac. Best tool in my shop. Even better now it has a ClearVIew in front of it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the corded Fien Multimaster FMM350QSL (quiet start and star lock) and am very happy with it. Although corded, the cord is 15' long, so reaches about anywhere you need it to. With no more than I use it, the corded is cheaper, lighter, and I don't have to worry about battery maintenance. The quiet start is very nice, as there is no jerking or bucking when starting in a very exact cut location. It is also very quiet when operating. The star locks are very quick and easy to change, and seem to hold the blade tighter than the center post type. If you don't already have a stock of standard blades, I highly recommend it.

I used mainly Bosch blades when doing backsplashes over the sink and stove, made out of 3/8" thick porcelain tile. They are very good quality. The carbide blade works okay for removing grout, but will wear out quickly cutting the tile. I used the Bosch diamond blade for that, and it held up very well and after numerous tiles, still cuts good. When I was doing mine several years ago, Bosch was the only one making the diamond blade, and the diamond blade was the only one that would cut the thick porcelain tile. Its expensive, but far cheaper than buying multiple carbide ones. One trick for both the grout removal and tile cutting is to use water from a spritz bottle (i.e. windex bottle, etc) to lubricate, flush the slurry out, and eliminate any dust going into the air, although the dust from the vibrating head is much less than a spinning blade to start with.

IMHO, you would do better buying just the tool, and then what specialty blades you need than the big kits. The one I bought is currently listed for $198 on Amazon.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea Mark, another option. I just wonder, as I have converted to battery jig saw and other tools, I tend to grab the "right" tool more often as it is so easy. $200 for qa Fein is not far from just buying the bare cordless tools and it is a better tool.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Mike - someone upstream may have said similar, but I personally have a Dewalt battery powered unit. It works fine for rough work, (undercutting door jambs, etc), but in my opinion, its very "jumpy" for delicate work. It seems that the trigger is set to either 0 or 60, w/ no stops in between, so the start-up torque is significant. I must admit I gouged a couple doors in recently building my house when cutting out the recesses for the handle hardware in the pocket doors. Other brands/ models may have a milder start-up torque/ less vibrations in use, but my Dewalt is a "rough framing" tool only. YMMV.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have the Porte-Cable but can't compare it to any other tool. I can only say that it works even better than I thought it would when I needed to use it. A good tool, and just one of several P-C tools--all work very well for me!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the Porte-Cable but can't compare it to any other tool. I can only say that it works even better than I thought it would when I needed to use it. A good tool, and just one of several P-C tools--all work very well for me!
I hope it holds up for you. I am 3 out of 3 for PC failures. All worked well, unitll they failed.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have an old original style Fein (corded) that I have replaced with a Rockler. I haven't listed it anywhere, but it's for sale $50.00. This unit is the old hoss with all metal gears etc. I will include a storage bag and the magic washer that makes it able to use todays blades.

Pop

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ah, not looking for that one. Bummer.

BTW, WD-40 is not a lubricant. It actually turns to gum over time. It is a Water Displacer, also good for removing sticky labels. Many a throttle and choke cable have been gummed up with that stuff.

mpeele

michael
User
This is the old countertop she wants to remove. She want to leave the vertical tiles standing at the back of the counter, not like a sink wall back splash. But, grouted tiles just the same.

What I'm afraid of is breaking or loosening the tiles when I pull out the countertop.

I will never match that odd color grout. So, Think making a clean cut between the top and the back will let me pull out the top without hurting the back. then i can slide the new wood top in under the backsplash tiles.

Now that I look closer it seems the line is very tight. Maybe no grout in there?

View attachment 199410
For that joint the installer probably used a sanded cauk that looks like grout but will flex. Cut it with a blade and it should just pull off.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have an older corded Fein Multimaster. I envisioned it as a go-to tool when I laid out the then $240. I was wrong. It sees very little use. It is, however a very good tool. Far less vibration than than most. I did use it on some nasty tile work and it (with a pricey cutter) got the job done nicely.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have never used any of my multi tools to cut tile and probably will not. I agree they are hard to start accurately although the Fein plunge base helps that a lot. But right angle grinders are my go to tool for anything other than a simple straight tile cut (for that I use what I call a cracker). It is a very messy thing to do, however. I would rather have tile dust go into one of my cheap angle grinders than one of my nicer multi tools and I can cut a straight line better with the grinder. I do not normally use a diamond blade. I just buy a much cheaper masonary blade or two and use that. Works well, even on hard tile (although hard floor tile takes longer to cut). If you have one person on the shop vac while the other cuts you can cut down on the mess (but it will still be messy).

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have never used any of my multi tools to cut tile and probably will not. I agree they are hard to start accurately although the Fein plunge base helps that a lot. But right angle grinders are my go to tool for anything other than a simple straight tile cut (for that I use what I call a cracker). It is a very messy thing to do, however. I would rather have tile dust go into one of my cheap angle grinders than one of my nicer multi tools and I can cut a straight line better with the grinder. I do not normally use a diamond blade. I just buy a much cheaper masonary blade or two and use that. Works well, even on hard tile (although hard floor tile takes longer to cut). If you have one person on the shop vac while the other cuts you can cut down on the mess (but it will still be messy).
I hope we don't have to cut the actual tile, only the grout joint.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors