Oscillating Multi Tool?

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
I don't own it, but I have heard repeatedly that the Fein Multimaster is one of the best. It's more expensive though -- $165 for the 250W model or $270 for the 350W model.

Though personally I would match with whatever battery tool system you have. Makita for me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Spider (tm) makes a tool for your reciprocating saw to do that job, of course I can't find it right now, but I think I saw it at Lowe's or Home Despot

EDIT: Oops, poor search criteria, here it is: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=spyder+grout+removing+tool
I don't have a reciprocating saw and thought the osc. tool might be more versatile for me.

I looked at the Bosch first to match all my other tools but they are near $300.

So, I think the Dremel seems to be a decent tool at over 500 W for around $120

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have a reciprocating saw and thought the osc. tool might be more versatile for me.

I looked at the Bosch first to match all my other tools but they are near $300.
I have the Rigid one and like it, but it stays on the shelf more than it gets used, but when you need it... there is no other tool!
I would check a pawn shop or junk shop in your neck of the woods, you might find one or the other pretty cheap, depending on your time frame...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I had a Sears. Noisy, made my hands vibrate, but it worked well enough when it burned up, I bought the Dremel from several on-line recommendations. Much more powerful, but I guess I am not that enamored and am thinking about a smaller lighter cordless. PM me if you want, I might let it go quite reasonably as an excuse to get a smaller cordless one. The pro shops say Fein is still the best followed by Bosch. Not cheap. There is a lot of games between the blade fitting patterns so do a bit of research. Carbide grit blades are not cheap and you want more than just the big triangle for the grout, probably.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Spider (tm) makes a tool for your reciprocating saw to do that job, of course I can't find it right now, but I think I saw it at Lowe's or Home Despot

EDIT: Oops, poor search criteria, here it is: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=spyder+grout+removing+tool

EDIT 2: Or you can get 2 for $12.99 at the "Smile" store: https://smile.amazon.com/Spyder-100...der+grout+removing+tool&qid=1611777687&sr=8-2
Spider makes a lot of accessories. Never found that worked worth a darn. Just my experience.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If you're not going to use it a bunch the Harbor Freight is the best bang for the buck.
The Chicago Electric tools are the cheapest but a friend has the Bauer and has used it for close to a year with no probs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just noticed the Dremel and some others only accept their own brand of blades.

Not getting in that trap. Will probably go with the Bosch. Says it will run every blade made.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To date, I still do not own one of these. Walmart sells a 2.3 amp version for 27 bucks. at work, we use them. All are either Milwaukee or Dewalt cordless versions. They work ok but are slow in my opinion. But, all work Like @PeteM said if you aren't going to use it much then just get a cheapo. They do cut off an inside corner cleanly. Been looking for a Dewalt cordless on Craig's that is cheap enough to spur my interest. No luck so far.
Mike, I think the grout removal is one of the things it does best. Btw, buy a package of blades as usually the cost of 2 individual blades equals a pack of 5 cost. Most of the tools are universal blade acceptance.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, I have used a multi-tool for removing grout, if you have a lot to do, it is the way to go. That said, I found that it was easier for me to stay between the tiles if I used a hand held grout saw first, to create a grove for the power tool blade to follow. Also, if the spacing between the tiles is sufficiently wide, I found the semi-circular blade is better than a straight blade...but the semi-circular blade is pretty thick, so if the spacing between the tiles is narrow, it may not be the attachment of choice.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
the Bosch will work just fine Mike. And if I remember correctly they have a blade for removing grout.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Bosch blades have been reviewed as the best, as have their jig saw blades, but everyone has a carbide grit grout tool.

Dremel does not need unique blades, as many blades have multiple patterns and the Dremel is one of the more common. It does need a little ring to clamp tight on Rockwell universal blades. Again, research this carefully as it may change model to model. There are some very good reviews with big charts on who used what. Even Bosch has two different blades. NO tool uses any blade without adapters. Most tools are NOT universal if you read the fine print as they need various adapters. They work, but are a PITA.

Do search on-line for blades. Big box stores really gouge you for them.

There is a lot to be said for a Horrible Freight disposable tool. Cordless are very poorly reviewed, but corded are actually not bad at all.

Like other's, don't use it a lot, but when you need it, you really need it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, I just happen to have a Fein 250 plus a straight and curved grout blade. If you would like to borrow it I could send it your way tomorrow. No hurry to get it back - I have a spare
Thanks but I'm not sure when I will be able to complete this project. I'm just doing the footwork while my hand heals.
Probably be at least another month before I tackle anything requiring both hands.
I look at all my tools as a long term investment, the best tools don't always give the best results but in my experience the cheap tools always give the worst results and break when you need them most.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One big compatibility difference. DeWalt, Dremel and some others require a slotted blade. Some, even tool-less have a removable shaft so they fit a blade with a closed mount. "Universal" translates into "many nut not all"

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, the Bosch GOP40-30C (corded) is selling for $199 at Home Depot (includes 1 Grout Blade). You may be able to get this a little cheaper on Amazon (I show a price of $167.30 without extended warranty, taxes, etc.)

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have a Fein corded multitool that I've had for several years and it has worked very reliably for wood and grout work. Bosch should also be a good choice -- be sure to check CPO for good prices.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS