OSB Sheathing - How many screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I'm almost done hanging the OSB sheathing on the stud wall in the shop but I'm starting to have second thoughts about the number of screws I'm using. I didn't want to go nuts, waste a bunch of screws, and have a screw head in the way every time I wanted to hang something. Then again, I don't want the OSB to come loose because I skimped.

Here's the sitch:

• The studs are average 80" tall, average 16" on center.
  • I had to add 1" x 2" furring strips to each stud to get them proud of the metal support poles.
  • I've hung the OSB vertically.
  • I'm using 1 5/8" drywall screws and boring a countersink for the heads.
  • I've been putting 5 screws on the outer edges of each sheet and 3 screws each into the two intermediate studs.
I do not plan on hanging any cabinets or lumber racks or anything like that on that wall. The heaviest thing I might hang would be clamps, but I can makes sure that those hit the studs. Mainly it will support some pegboard and I will hang tools and accessories like miter gauges and blades. Maybe a charging station or the like.

So what do you think? Am I OK? More screws? Longer screws?

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I just put up OSB in my shop expansion (closet) and put 5 along the outside edges and 4 on each intermediate stud. I hung my boards horizontally. I haven't had any bowing...except the one place I missed the two middle screws. I popped them in and everything looks great.

Hope this helps.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you're good, both in quantity and length. And it's wise not to go overboard. I remember reading about someone who used 3/4" plywood instead of OSB, and he joined the sheets with biscuits and glue to make a solid wall, and used construction adhesive + screws to attach it to the studs. Don't be that person. And remember, you can always add screws later.

(And no, that wasn't me. :rolf:)

jhreed

New User
james
no need to pre-drill or countersink. that is just extra work. but it will not hurt anything.

Sully

New User
jay
I can't speak for the OP, but OSB has some advantages over drywall:

1) It can take bumps and bangs much more readily than drywall
2) For hanging something light you can just screw right to the OSB, no need to find a stud.
3) OSB doesn't have to be taped, mudded, sanded, repeat as necessary
4) OSB is much more moisture resistant than drywall
5) OSB can be painted white

$0.02
J

You'll probably be allright...May I ask why OSB and not drywall? (sheet-rock if you're from the south)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS