CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yummy!

cherry6.JPG

CarvedTones

Andy
Yeah, that's probably about right. A previous owner of my neighbor's house did not realize how much it would grow and planted it next to the driveway (which it has cracked) and sidewalk, way too close to the house.

CarvedTones

Andy
A bump with a question - is noting that the tree was fairly young just an observation, or is there something positive/negative about that or should it be dried and/or used any differently because of it?

This is a somewhat general question, as trees like this being removed is fairly common in neighborhoods. People plant ornamentals (usually pear or cherry trees that don't produce fruit) like they are flowers. They buy them as little more than sticks and are pleased with how many flowers they produce for the next several Springs. Then they start to get big (this one was about 1' in diameter at the lower trunk; the piece I got was from above the first "octapus crotch") and shade too much of the yard and/or crack driveways and sidewalks and down they come. The pear trees get real fragile at about that age/size and big branches break tearing large chunks out of the trunk during high winds or when loaded with snow or ice. Anyway, lots of that stuff is available to the scrounger for turning and carving (most of it is too small to consider milling), but if there is a reason to think twice about it, please let me know.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Andy,

I didn't realize that ornamental cherry had that much color! I brought back a couple of chunks from Atlanta last time I was down (same situation - too close to the driveway and cracked it all up). I just happened to have the chainsaw in the car... This one is a little older but not much!

Mike

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Jeff,
Ha ha ha! Maybe we could do a Stihl commercial?
My buddy Matt thought his wife put me up to it but I was actually supposed to stop in Harlem (outside Augusta) on my way back from Atlanta to put a cedar tree down. Lots of nice wood there! I guess I had better get the sawmill running again...

CarvedTones

Andy
Mike,

I don't know if it always does have the color. I suspect some of it comes from using big box store mulch; they figured out a long time ago that it is easier to stain than sort it to get the consistent shades you find in the bags. Anyway, this tree had mulch around it most of its life and if memory serves me correct the house changed hands twice since the tree was planted. The owners had some variation in mulch color preference.

BTW, I am not knocking that mulch. It can make a tremendous difference in the curb appeal of a house.

CarvedTones

Andy
Does your neighbor know that you are "borrowing" their tree?

Yeah, he owes me for this (well, actually I kinda owed him for painting help :) ). It was cracking his driveway. I helped him limb it, dig up and cut the big roots and then used a tow chain to pull it over with my little mini van. He has a bigger SUV but no hitch. I only took a few pieces; I alerted a deserving member with a bigger lathe to come get the lion's share (main trunk and root ball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS