Organizing tape measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
One of the hardest thing for me to keep up with is my tape measures. I have four or five floating around the shop, yet every time I need one, I have to hunt for it. Where do you keep yours? Any suggestions? Pictures are great too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One in the glass shelf, one on the bench, one in the car cause I always need one out somewhere and a small one always in my pocket.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I keep mine in my hip pocket! It's called an X46 Lufkin! :rotflm:

Seriously, I like my folding ruler a LOT better than tape measures. I believe it to be more accurate. However, I do have 3 or 4 25' tapes lying around! :wsmile:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
One on the bench, one in my apron, one at the table saw and probably three more in my gadget drawer. I actually want to buy a 12' tape for my apron to lighten the load. I think that's enough for a 16x24 shop!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
It never matters which tape measure I use, the boards end up being a smidge short. :BangHead:

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I keep most of them in my tool tower (15-20, I suppose), one around my TS, one or two always find therir way to the bench, one in the truck, and until very recently, a 6 footer on my keychain, but it broke ;(
No matter where I put 'em, there's always the one or two that seem to be in the most unusual places, like on my dresser, on the vanity in the master bath, on the kitchen counter next to the wall phone (this is s very common unusual place!), between couch cushions and (cough, cough) on my night stand! All of 'em find their way back in the tool tower in my garage shop (eventually), which by the way, is never straightened out and always dirty (no matter how many times I sweep & blow things off) - the anguish of no DC (yet).

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have two that I trust. One goes in my apron and the other wanders from workbench to tablesaw to router table. I have a third I'll use for rough measurements and take outside the shop. My shop is pretty small, so I rarely have to look very far.
:>

cskipper

Cathy
We are the same - if we gathered them in one place we'd probably be amused at the number! At the moment we probably have an even greater number - some in Forest City and some in SC! Isn't it funny though, when someone sells off their tools, there are never tape measures - a conspiracy perhaps - lol :rotflm:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
yet every time I need one, I have to hunt for it. Where do you keep yours?

I wish I knew, I have to hunt for em too. :rotflm:

Woodcraft has their branded ones onsale for 2.50. I just bought 2 more to increase the odds of me finding one when I need it. Pencils tend to disappear on me too.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
My pencil disappears too... then I usually find it somewhere convenient like behind MY EAR!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Not that I have ever done that!! :wwink:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I keep mine on a shelf dedicated to measuring devices. Alas, they are rarely on the shelf......

Wouldn't it be neat to have a Spiderman style tape measure slinger?

Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe we need to attach a paging device like is available in some cordless phones and TV remotes. Hey guys sounds like a top tip award for the guy with the best idea.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have 1 by the PC,3 on top of metal tool box lid,1 at my couch worktable along with a couple metal 6" ones and stick rules galore.
Tony

sawduster

New User
Robert
i have approximately 14. :gar-Bi Cannot honestly sit here and tell you where a single one is at the moment but I can guarantee it will not be where I need it , when I need it :BangHead: When I do find one I will lose it a half dozen times before I am done with my project :roll: I just accepted it as fact and quit fighting it a long time ago :cool:

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto to Robert's comments. I'm hoping that the December shop reorganization will turn up all those that have disappeared in recent months (yea, sure). If so, I should be set until I start misplacing them again:dontknow:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
DARN NO GOOD YANKEE GREMLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEMS WHUTS TAKIN EM!!!!!!!!!!!

:gar-La;:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
One of the hardest thing for me to keep up with is my tape measures. I have four or five floating around the shop, yet every time I need one, I have to hunt for it. Where do you keep yours? Any suggestions? Pictures are great too.

only 4 or 5? therein lies the problem. you need about 12 more for starters. I keep all my tapes and squares in a drawer under the bench. every so often [could be minutes could be days] I go gather em back up and put em back in the drawer. [rinse and repeat] when I get down to 2 or 3 it's time to clean the shop! you would be amazed at the places they end up...... same with cordless drills. I have several and they disappear almost as fast as tape measures.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS