orbital sander with shop vac connectivity

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am looking to buy a 5" orbital sander that will connect to a shop vac. Dewalt says they have one using their adapter. Read a number of reviews which say the sander and adapter do not fit together. Really strange if true.

Anyone know of a sander which will connect to a shop vac. without having to buy a bunch of fittings from a plumbing department?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I use a dewalt ROS sander with my shop vac, the hose is a little bit smaller than then opening on the sander but there is typically enough suction to hold the two together. If I am sanding a larger area where the hose is moving more I put a little bit of painters tape around the hose and sander connection to keep them together.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My Bosch came with an adapter that fits 1¼" & 1½" hoses and adapters. My experience is the same as NOTW

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Bosch DEVS 1250 sander and a DeWalt 5 inch ROS (don't remember model) with my Rigid shop vac connected with a Bosch 5 meter hose. It's a good hose and is not expensive. Both sanders have adapters, I am pretty sure the Bosch adapter came with the sander, I don't remember if the DeWalt did. The Bosch 1250 is a very nice sander that will remove wood quickly in the turbo mode. It is a little tough to use one handed in the turbo mode, especially with coarse paper. But if you clamp your work and use two hands it is not hard to control and gets the job done noticably quicker.

Bryan S

Bryan
I have a Dewalt sander, not sure which model, but is older and use an adapter like this one. Do not remember whether it came from one of the Woodworking stores or big box stores though. It is easy to hook on just take the dust catcher bag off of the sander and with my sander there is a port about an inch in diameter that the adapter will slide onto.

I know this does not directly answer what you are asking but hopfully is good enough info to get you in the direction you want

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've had the most luck buying a separate hose and matching the hose brand to the sander. I have two Bosch sanders and the dust hose fits both of them. The other side of the hose fits my Rigid shop vac. If you use the standard hose that comes with the shop vac, it's hit or miss if it will fit the sander, since the port size can be 1.25, 1.5, 2.25 or 2.5". Standardization in this area would make life so much easier.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Went back and found the review I had read. The guy said to use a drain and trap connector 2"x 1 1/2" made by American Valve. I looked on Amazon and where they show items bought together they show the Dewalt ROS and the American Valve connector. I do not want to bad mouth Dewalt because I have several of their tools and like them. However, I think they should be pretty embarrassed by this.

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
I have Bosch (ROS20VSC) connected with a few adapters to a dust cyclone & rigid shop vac. Have had the connection between the hose adapter and the Sander dust port come loose on a handful of occasions. I'm actually stepping up to a 2" or 2.5" hose, but I think I am going to buy a smaller hose to use less adapters. I will try that in combination with the suggestion to wrap it in tape.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS