Orbital Sander Air Compressor requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Hi everybody, I am interested in getting a Dynabrade 5" orbital sander. A Silver supreme 5". What size air compressor would I need to run this thing?
I use them at school right now and love them.
Neil

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Neil, what CFM does it use? You can compare that to the compressors output to see what size you need. Also, how long will you use it at a time will help you size the tank.

Roy G

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Most sanders use a lot of air. These Dynabrade sanders are listed as requiring 14 to 16 SCFM depending on the model. Takes a pretty good compressor.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Most sanders use a lot of air. These Dynabrade sanders are listed as requiring 14 to 16 SCFM depending on the model. Takes a pretty good compressor.

That is about the output one would expect from a 4-5 HP air compressor. Right at the upper limit of my 4HP compressor, but if you want to run a variety of air tools, spray finishing, etc., then it is worth investing in such a compressor.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Keep in mind that they generally overstate the sanders efficiency so to use it continuosly might require more cfm than they list.My estimate would be based on pump size,not hp.A good 5 horsepower,2 stage rated at 17 to 18 cfm @ 90 psi with at least a 60 gallon tank would be the minimum to avoid the frustation of sitting there while the compressor catches up.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
A lot of people under-size their compressor needs. I am using an older version of this one right now: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Husky-TF2912-Air-Compressor/p12161.html

It will run any tool I have need of including air sanders and even abrasive blaster. I keeps up well with continuous duty on a HF blaster.

If you want to run trim air guns you can get away with a pan-cake.
If you want to run framing guns you need to go up to something on wheels and stronger.
Anything above that you gotta start forking out the dough for a 2 stage or more (IMHO) on a 60gal or bigger tank with a good motor or you'll be waiting on the pump to catch up constantly. Tools like the sander that run continuous, use much more air. I have a 7" angle grinder that will run the pump pretty hard, as hard as blasting. When you get lower in the PSI on tools like that, they can't do their job. When you do it on a sprayer, it gets worse and your paint or finish application will be plagued with spots and unevenness. This is one of the advantages of HVLP. This is another reason why people by 5" Electric ROS. I have a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors