Optimum height of lathe?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I wonder if there is a suggested height to the center of the spindle for comfortable turning? My Jet measures 49" from the floor to the center line of the spindle. My elbow measures, in the relaxed position, 43" from the floor. The lathe has 3 1/2" high casters which I need to keep so as to move the lathe around the garage. I am thinking I need to build a 5-6" floor riser box so as to get higher and closer to the center line of the lathe. Anyone know what the optimum or suggested lathe height should be relative to your height?

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I am far from an expert but being on the shorter side of average I find most standard lathes to be too tall. My understanding is that the forearm should be about horizontal when holding the tool so height will vary depending on whether you use standard or carbide tools. I set up my lathe to this criteria and find it comfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
42-43 inches is what my lathes measure ground to center of tailstock. I am 6 ft and think it is a bit tall for me. RickR advice is good common sense.

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I wonder if there is a suggested height to the center of the spindle for comfortable turning? My Jet measures 49" from the floor to the center line of the spindle. My elbow measures, in the relaxed position, 43" from the floor. The lathe has 3 1/2" high casters which I need to keep so as to move the lathe around the garage. I am thinking I need to build a 5-6" floor riser box so as to get higher and closer to the center line of the lathe. Anyone know what the optimum or suggested lathe height should be relative to your height?

David. "Experts" suggest elbow height. Your idea of the riser box will work. I have a couple of different riser boxes for visitors.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If it feels too highor too low, then it is!

That's about it.

The bottom of my elbow is 42" off the floor. The center of one at the is 46" off the floor and the other is 47" off the floor. By other's standards, My lathe is proportionally higher than a lot of turners I know. I like the work a little closer to my face so I can see detail easier. Also, I don't get back pain from bending over and that's a big consideration.

1  bent 1 - 1.jpg
Note how the demonstrator is bent over both to get down to the spindle height and to see what he's doing. this is hard on the back.

1  bent - 2.jpg
Note the elbow height of the demonstrator in relation to the lathe spindle height.

1  bent 3 - 1.jpg
Here I am turning with the lathe center several inches above my elbow. Note that I'm standing erect and not bending over.

1  bent 2 - 1.jpg
Working a bowl blank and standing erect and again, the center is higher than my elbows.

A second operation lathe I have is a little higher because a lot of light detailing is done there.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I used my lathe for several weeks before I realized that it just wasn't comfortable, so I raised it using some 2 x 6 x 6 squares, one under each leg of the lathe, and that helped. So I did another set of them and now it feels right, so I ended up raising mine 3 inches (as a 2 by is actually 1 1/2"). I think the centerline of the spindle is about elbow height as Charlie suggests, but haven't measured it for sure.

Mauser44

New User
John
I just set up my "new to me lathe".
Had to build a riser as I am vertically challenged. I am set up with elbow bent at 90 degrees when holding the tool. It is most comfortable for me. Turned for 5 hours today without back or shoulder fatigue.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find elbow height to be a little low for me. Does that mean I have short upper arms and long forearms?

There was a video sometime ago of a turner in TX who turned the mesquite globe turning on a platform from the normal side and was about 6" lower when turning from the other side. It was about how he was using the tools and line of sight.

Bottom line, IMHO, fiddle with it til it feels 'right'. When 'right changes', change the height.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Bottom line, IMHO, fiddle with it til it feels 'right'. When 'right changes', change the height.

Exactly. Everyone's body geometry is a little different.

I'm 5'-8". I used to be 5'-10" when I was younger. My height shrunk but my weird arms didn't. I've got a 6'-4" arm span that should be 5'-10" if it were normal. Go figure.

I think the main point is not to get stooped over.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Tool hight matters. When we hold workshops in Bill Clemmons shop you will see work benches at different heights. The short one all but has my name on it. Bill is quite tall, his tablesaw is on a riser. My lathe at home is on a short stand. My husband has his own lathe. I bought a bench top drill press so I could set it on a stand that works for me.
When the tool fits you things are easier and safer.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will throw my two cents in, but reiterate - what Berta said - tool height matters and I will add tool material and geometry matter. Finally what you are turning matters!
Large bowls? pens? spindle work? vessels?

Think of the carbide tools that like to be parallell to the centerline of the lathe - it can be uncomfortable if the lathe is too high... too low likely doesn't matter until you drop below the elbow, then you are reaching down or your arm and body posture is uncomfortable... exactly as @bob vaughan points out...

At home, I use traditional tools and a HIGH rake angle so my lathe is slightly higher so my left hand is presented slightly above centerline and I can reach "Down" to the tool with my forearm parallell to the work. While my right hand is likely at 3/4 or at the end of a LONGER handle at or below my hip.
(ask anyone who has seen me struggle with the carbide tools and the lathes on the outreach trailer - I am simply not used to that kind of turning...)

So with all that said, as everyone else has pointed out - if you are comfortable - the height is likely right, if you are uncomfortable, pay attention to your body and what "hurts" or get stiff and it can give you a signal as to what you need to adjust.

I hope that helps and is not too much of a reiteration of the 10 people who have come before?!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm, still trying to finish the cabinets under my new Nova lathe. THEN! I'll get to a little turning. When I saw this post I went to the shop with my rule. The floor to C/L of tail stock is 42 inches. Floor to bottom of elbow is 42 inches. Is this dead-on or do I have a problem? This is an interesting post. When I went back to view it a second time it was missing. I had to search forums to find the post.

Pop

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Sounds like a good starting point.
Focal distance needs to be considered also. Larger work and smaller detailed work require a little different position of the head. Getting inside of a bowl is a common task that may require stooping or stretching.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a good starting point.
Focal distance needs to be considered also. Larger work and smaller detailed work require a little different position of the head. Getting inside of a bowl is a common task that may require stooping or stretching.
exactly - it is a precise measurement, but it depends! ha ha (depends one what you are turning, the tools you are using, do you wear glasses...)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Hank, After reading your post about carbide tools I'm staying with my good old HSS tools. I hate safety glasses. I wear my 3X reading glasses, goggles & face shield. The face shield is a yes and no thing. It depends on the amount of shavings hitting my face. :D

Pop

DavidP

New User
David
For bowl turning the spindle at elbow height is a good starting point. But that should be elbow height with some slight flex at the knees for movement. Adjustable legs on lathes should be a standard thing.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I find elbow height to be a little low for me. Does that mean I have short upper arms and long forearms?

There was a video sometime ago of a turner in TX who turned the mesquite globe turning on a platform from the normal side and was about 6" lower when turning from the other side. It was about how he was using the tools and line of sight.

A little back story for the presentation by John Tisdale- walked into the area of Wood World that we use for the meetings, and was shocked at the lathe height. First thought was the demonstrator is seven feet tall, and his tools looked like harpoons. He did his demo with his tools resting on his shoulder, and had the leverage with the long tools. Very interesting approach, since none of us is getting younger, but getting the wood mounted.....

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Ed
I was trying to track down the tool rest he used for the big turns. Drawings, sketches, something. I couldn't get a response from the local club. But then, the AAW listed turning club here never responded. Must be the pandemic.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS