Opinions Wanted: Incra TS-LS Jointery System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I know that they occupy quite a lot of floor space is it sticks out quite a ways to the right-hand side of one's table saw, requiring adequate open area to the right of your saw to accommodate such, though I do not doubt for a moment that it does precisely what Incra promises. I generally love Incra accessories but while I did look at this solution once upon a time, about 10-12 years ago if I recall, I could not see what this really offered above and beyond a quality Bessemeyer T-square type fence. It is certainly a tremendous upgrade over a crap fence, but next to a good quality fence it is no more, or less, easy, in my opinion, to get comparable accuracy from a traditional fence that does not occupy nearly as large a footprint in my shop (where floor space is always at a premium). For example, with my Bessemeyer type fence, if I want 11-23/32" I simply slide my cursor to 11-23/32" and I know for a fact that is the distance between my fence and blade without needing to double check the measurement.

Keep in mind that while repeatability and accuracy are important in woodworking that they are also relative since wood is a natural product that changes in dimension from one day to the next with changes in season and humidity. If you can reliably get better than about 1/64th inch accuracy and repeatability out of your woodworking tools then you are in good shape to build most anything you wish without much concern for anything more accurate than that (thicknessing, inlay, and specialty joints are about the only applications that typically require better accuracy). You need enough repeatability and accuracy to ensure you can reliably remake a damaged or flubbed piece, but no more than that as a few swipes of sandpaper, or a small change in humidity, will frequently dwarf any precision much greater than that.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I have had the TS LS on my saw stop for a couple of years. I am quite fond of its ability to make accurate and repeatable cuts. It works pretty much the same as in the video. I'll check the cuts with my caliper but it's been dead on for a long time. As to whether it's worth it, your call. I consider it something of a luxury but I like it. Wixey makes a digital fence guide that mounts to your fence that many like and I believe goes for about $119. Plenty of people make nice work with the fence on your saw. One note is that on my saw stop the Incra does not add much footprint as long as I slide the fence in closer to the blade when storing.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I have the positioner only(made my own fence). I love the speed, accuracy and precision. It made me wonder why I hadn't gotten one sooner. If I were doing it again I probably would get the whole system.

Tony

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I bought the whole package several years ago, two router tables, TS fence, joinery package, and several small items...I would not trade it for anything else I've tried. It is a bit expensive, but lasts well, and they have been great about replacing small items that have become worn out or broken over the years, which as been very little. It does take some shop space, but I liken it to a shop smith kind of thing, lots done in that space. I'd buy again.

joec

joe
User
I am thinking of getting my table saw upgraded with this system. If it is as good as their router table package I bought last year, I will be one happy woodworker.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
I have it, and it can take up a lot of space for wide table saw cuts. I'd say that's fair and accurate. I also find that the ease of creating cool joinery is next to nothing else that I've seen...you put a template in, follow the A cuts, switch pieces follow the B cuts, and voila! (Over simplified, and Results may not be typical right) but it's amazing to me. Also I think the ease at which one can create their own "templates" for certain repetitive projects, or small production runs, is unparalleled...

so if that's something you want definitely worth it. If you just want a rock solid TS fence. Those can be had for less, and arguably by some even better ones than the Incra. But using the templating they provide, as well as all the router fence features. One thing that I forget about but I've used the split fence for jointing some boards on the router and that was much easier to do than I expected. (Doesn't have to do with the positioner part of it, but still another nice piece of the system that's included in the big package). I'm mind blown again just thinking about it. So my review is biased sorry.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I considered one, but ended up getting a Wixey digital readout for my existing Unifence. It doesn't take up any additional space (which I don't have much of available) and I can repeat a fence setting very easily to within a few thousandths. It's also much cheaper, but without some of the options. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Incra, but you should look at the other available choices before deciding what is best for you.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS