opinions on Woodtek equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
Hello everyone. I just discovered this site and had to join. The new home my wife and I just moved into has a 24 X 24 garage that I'm turning into a woodshop. I have an oportunity to purchase a new Woodtek 14" band saw, belt/disk sander, and a one and a half HP dust collector along with a Delta drill press and Freud router/table combo. I don't know anything about Woodtek. Is it good stuff?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hi, welcome aboard.

Woodtek is about as good as the next. It is distributed by Woodworker's Supply in Graham. They import from Taiwan/China like pretty much all the other distributors/manufacturers. If it is any good depends on if it has been taken care of, and if it was manufactured correctly (which is hit or miss and not unique to Woodtek). The dust collector is pretty easy, the bandsaw will take a little more testing. All in all, if you are getting a good deal, and the equipment is in good shape, you should be fine.

Good luck.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've got a WoodTek jointer in my shop right now. Its not much. It was never used much because of casting flaws from the factory. The knives couldn't be installed at their full height because of casting defects. Once I found the defects and filed them down, all was better. As has been said, its pretty much run of the mill five-dollar-socket set quality level one expects from these low priced imports.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've had good experiences with Woodtek. I'd also add that Woodworkers Supply has a big presence in North Carolina.

Jim

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
I appreciate the replies guys... The equipment was bought from the Graham store and the owner never used it so he doesn't know if there are any problems or not. He went into another business and doesn't have time to use the equipment. Guess I'll contact the Graham store and see what they'll help me with if I discover any problems. Wish I could afford to buy the best but I am on a retiree's budget.

I'm looking forward to discovering more about this site and getting to know the members here.
Again, thanks for the comments.

M

McRabbet

Paul,

I'd suggest you post a new thread in the Who We Are Forum to introduce yourself to all of the members. That way, you'll get a full bore welcome!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
IMHO Woodtek is middle of the road. More than Sears Craftsman, much less than Powermatic. Wouldn't be the top of my list, but definitely wouldn't be the bottom either. If the condition is good and the price is right ... why not?

Woodtek list prices are ridiculously high (as is everything from Woodworkers Supply) ... so take that with a dash of salt.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Since you are on a limited budget (as I am) check out craigslist as there can be some really good deals out there. I almost never buy new & have a shop full of equipment. Also check out ebay. I saw an almost new 16" Jet bandsaw today someone got for $650.

My experience with WT equipment is not good. Just today I talked to someone who had a WT band saw & had to get rid of it as "parts just kept falling off" for no reason. I have heard this sort of complaint many times.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
My experience with WT equipment is not good. Just today I talked to someone who had a WT band saw & had to get rid of it as "parts just kept falling off" for no reason. I have heard this sort of complaint many times.

The fact that your acquaintence observed parts falling off of his band saw and the fact that the band saw was an old Walker Turner aren't necessarily mutually inclusive. I've seen lots of parts fall off of lots of machines and there was always a reason somewhere. With a used machine, what one gets isn't necessarily what that machine was when it left the factory.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
The WT stands for Woodtek which was the subject of the thread. As I said, I have a workshop full of equipment I got off Craigslist and have yet to be disappointed. It helps to know something about equipment and do some research beforehand. And, as I said, I have owned WT (Woodtek) equipment and was dissatisfied in every case. The fellow with the WT (Woodtek) bandsaw is very experienced in repair/refurbishing equipment so when he says there was no reason, there was no reason other than poor design/manufacturing.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
Thanks for all the comments guys. The Woodtek equipment I'm looking at is new and never been used but since I'll be the second owner I'll have no warranty, that's a concern. After talking with Raymond at the Graham store I believe if I have a problem they would help me (I'll have to pay of course). I was very impressed with Raymond over the phone. He seemed very professional, knowledgable and friendly. Still undecided though... I'll let you know what I do.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a couple of Woodtek tools. they seem to be middle of the road. On par with grizzly they have some jewels and some duds. IMHO. check them out one at a time and decide what ones are for you and what ones are not.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
Thanks again to all that contributed their 2 cents worth. I drove over to Winston Salem today and looked at the Woodtek machines for sale and I was not impressed at all. They were in fact new, had not cut, sanded or sucked up one bit of saw dust but they just had a "cheap" look and feel to them so I didn't buy. I knew I wouldn't be happy with them when I got home. On the way home I stopped by Woodworkers Supply in Graham. I've been treated better at Wal Mart. The friendliness, professionalism and courtesy I received over the phone with Raymond the other day was lost today with my in person visit.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sorry you were disappointed with your visit to Woodworkers Supply. My trips there have been hit or miss...... I guess they save the red carpet for the commercial/industrial buyers which isn't me.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS