Opinions on Upcoming Sale of Table Saw Sale

dlos

Dave
User
I'm planning to upgrade my current table saw and will be selling what I have today. It's a Jet Contractor saw with several upgrades. Upgrades include:

-Sawstop 36" T-Glide Fence/Rails with the phenolic extension table
-Bench Dog cast iron inline router table and fence
-Jet left cast iron wing extension
-Portamate Heavy Duty mobile base (PM-2500)
-Grizzly Industrial T21992 Power Twist V-Belt
-Inline Industries Contractor Saw PALS

Right now I am leaning towards a 3HP Sawstop PCS which would enable me to keep the current SS T-Glide fence and rails as well as the Bench Dog router setup. Question is, would the sale of my current saw be more attractive to buyers sold "as is" with all the upgrades or just as a Jet Contractor saw with the OEM fence/rails and no router table? I've included some pictures of the current setup.

Just looking for some opinions and appreciate any/all input. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4588.jpeg
    IMG_4588.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 111

dlos

Dave
User
like customizing a motorcycle you never get your money back. If some of the improvements, ie the router setup,will transfer take 'em with you.Get the sawstop
You're spot on about not getting back upgrade $$! I am less concerned about that than I am just being able to sell the saw at all. Keeping the router table and SS fence would save me some $ on the new SS purchase but especially where the rails are concerned, it isn't really that much at all, maybe $180. I've been told that SS is legally obligated to selling their saws WITH a fence option so I'd have the standard 30" fence at a minimum which I suppose I could try to sell off. Keeping the router table saves me a fair amount about $550 but I'm not sure how well it'll fit into the SS as a left of blade mount since it has no legs and would not be supported at all by the rails as my Bench Dog is today.

Echd

C
User
Agreed with the above. Always expect to take a big hit on something you customized, and unless you get lucky and find a buyer at a good price expect any cabinet saw that isn't a sawstop (or maybe a powermatic or the like) to need a big discount to move on the secondary market. Most people buying a large cabinet saw are fairly informed buyers who know what they need- they arent small items like a jobsite saw you just can shove in the corner when you are done. I still see relatively nice cabinet saws sit for weeks at a time (although sawstops are gone nearly instantly unless the prices are nutty). Its a hard market for used larger saws.

I don't remember the T glide being all that expensive of an upgrade when bought new with a saw, so it may be worth leaving that on the saw and buying a new one. Maybe at least it will generate some extra interest as they are very nice fences.

If your router table can fit the sawstop somehow I'd keep it. I cant bring myself to pay sawstop prices for their table. Otherwise you're either going to be converting it to standalone or making big mods to fit it on your new saw.

You're also competing with all the goobers who went out bought all the fairly nice delta contractor saws at lowes for $350 a month or so ago and are now trying to hock them for $500-550, which is realistically a great value, but the number of them I'm seeing indicates they aren't moving, and most people are more apt to buy a contractor or jobsite than a cabinet saw unless they're very serious.

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would your old Jet saw accept the 30” SS rails and could switch it out.

dlos

Dave
User
Would your old Jet saw accept the 30” SS rails and could switch it out.
Ya know, I hadn't even thought of that at all, great suggestion! I don't see why it wouldn't. Might require some further mods to old saw but that's how I got the 36" on there.

More I think about this, I can just keep the old one around while assembling the new one and seeing what does and doesn't work well from the old on the new. Thanks for this reply, really helpful!

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are in the Wake County area, I might be interested in Jet.

dlos

Dave
User
If you are in the Wake County area, I might be interested in Jet.
I am in N Raleigh, Bayleaf Church area around Six Forks, Possum Track, and Raven Ridge roads. Happy to talk to you more about the saw if you're interested. PM me if so....

justawoodworker

New User
rick
I think rob cosman has a video on installation of router in the wing of a sawstop. He hit a couple of bumps you can avoid by watching it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I bought my PCS from the local Woodcraft. The fence and rails are sold as a separate system. I don’t see why SS would force you to buy one.

I think you should check on it, also be sure the fence you have is compatible with newer model SawStops.

If you buy from a Woodcraft you save $250 on shipping, and you know exactly when it’s arriving ;-)

Side note - the SS fence system is awesome. On mine I decreased the recommended gap between inner guide and rail so there is absolutely no racking at all. It slides like silk,

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS