Opinions on PC 7518

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'm trying to decide between $250 cash back from Delta or a "free" PC 7518 router as my rebate. I've seen a few posts where members indicated they owned one, but I would like to hear some opinions. I'm finishing my router table and was planning to use my PC plunge router in it. But now I'm considering the 7518. Any opionions on it's use in a router table?

M

McRabbet

It is not just one of the very best routers available, it will last a lifetime. And it is one of the few routers out there that deserves the moniker "production" router -- it will outlast the Energizer bunny. I would have bought it instead of the Milwaukee 5625 except for price (I saved about $75) and the above-table adjustment on the Milwaukee.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
You can't buy the 7518 for less than $250, except on rare occasion when you see it on sale (or do like I did and get it used). I say get the router, but be aware that you will want a lift for it... so count on spending another $200-300! :mrgreen: The good news is, almost all of the lifts out there fit the 7518 out of the box... adapter rings are often needed for other models.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have it in my router table with a Jess'em master lift and used it before in my rebel router table directly. It definitively has a lot of power. I had a DW625 in my table before, but the variable speed went out on it. IMO I think the 7518 has more power. IMO I think the 7518is pretty easy to adjust in a router table. The collet is locked into the nut so you don't have to break it loose when changing bits. Only two issues I have with it is it will suck dust through the motor and I need to put a piece of flashing on it or something and it takes to wrenches to change a bit. Not a big deal. Oh, it only comes with a 1/2" collet so if you want 1/4" that will be extra.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have the 7518 and the Freud (whatever the number is) 3 1/4 hp for my router table. The 7518 is a workhorse and runs flawlessly for me. I would run and buy another one if I could get it for $250 new. That is a good deal!!!!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Ditto on all the above. I have one coupled up with a Jessem Master Lift in my RT. Since I have never used anything else except for Craftsman, I cannot offer any comparable comments. All I know, it has all the power you will ever need and if taken care of, will last a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.:lol:

MIke

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Hugh,

You can't go wrong with that router. That puppy is what made router tables capable of getting near shaper results on a non production basis.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Thanks for all the great opinions. Now let's see how I explain a $250 rebate turning into a $300 router lift purchase. Hmmmm....

Now for my next question. I have already cut my router table to hold my plunge router plate. For the 7518 there is a "small" and a "large" plate - both 1/4" aluminum. My current setup would hold the small and give me the ability to interchange routers (of course based on the comments there may never be a reason to swap out the 7518 for my plunge router.)

If I order the "small" plate for the 7518 will I be disappointed?

Second question, one response indicated that I might not need the Router Lift (at least not right away). How difficult is this router to do height adjustments in a RT without a Lift?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
On the contrary, swappability would be great. I have the same plate for my Milwaukee 5625 and PC 690. I can keep different bits set up in each and swap routers, a very nice feature. If you feel the need for the larger plate for some reason, I would still get the same larger plate for your other router to enable swapping.

Monty

New User
Monty
The PC design involves twisting the motor in its base. I have never tried it with the router hanging under a table, but I imagine it might be a little tricky. Since the motor turns around, you'll have to feel around for the speed selector and power switch too - they won't always be in the same place.

I don't know anything about plates for that router. I think if you're going to go for a plate alone, get one that's small enough so the hole in your RT won't be too big for your future lift when you upgrade! ;-) :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Speed switch, yes you have to feel around for, but I haven't used the power switch on mine as I plug it into an external switch. Spinning it around was easier than I thought and really was just as easy or easier than using a regular plunge router (not one like the Milwaukee with above table adjustments).

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Great! I really appreciate the input.

I can put the Lift on my Wish List, purchase the small plate from Rockler for $50 and have a "free" top of the line Router for my new RT. What a deal!

Now if I can just get the time to actually use my new Jointer, Bandsaw, Router Table, Dust Collector..... work sure does get in the way of more important endeavors :lol: :lol: Hmmmm... The lottery is up to $365 million. I see a quick trip to SC in my future. :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS