Opinions on Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
So to start with, we just moved. I am setting up the shop. I have a place for my 3HP Woodtek 4 bagger DC and it's got an electrical outlet I just installed. I am pretty convinced on getting the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL (has 6" Inlet and Outlet which matches my DC) and building a stand for it and rigging up a 55 gallon drum to collect. Opinions are welcome on that subject. Main thing I am asking about is should I go PVC or Metal. Leaning toward metal. If metal, quick-snap or Spiral? And lastly where is the best place to order from concerning price as it seems Oneida is expensive and has every fitting you can think of but other retailers I have found has limited selections. I have the design concept pretty much down, just need to figure out what to put in the design. Thanks in advance!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I used all metal pipe for my setup (3hp Oneida Dust Gorilla cyclone). I got tired of getting static electric zaps, metal is self grounding. I used flex pipe with built in wire to extend the ground from the machine to the metal pipe. Just expose the wire in the flex at each end and tuck it under the hose clamp so it makes contact with bare metal on both ends.

Oneida has free shipping on orders over $300. Make sure to figure that into costs.
Penn State Industries has decent prices and great selection on duct work and fittings. No free shipping, but it was reasonable.

I used almost all 26ga snap lock in my system. I have a couple of 24ga spiral pipes and even some 30ga snap lock that were given to me. Never had a problem with pipes collapsing. I have one four inch blast gate that is always open which I think helps prevent any pipe collapsing. I believe Bill Clemons is using all 30ga pipe in his system and did collapse a pipe once when he had all blast gates closed with the DC running. IIRC he hasn't had a problem since due to leaving at least one gate open at all times.

I had a similar DC to yours prior to getting the cyclone. A four bagger with a Thein separator on a 40 gallon drum. It worked ok (only had 4" flex pipe), but it took up a lot of room. The cyclone takes up much less floor space. It has an 8" inlet, but I only have a short run of 8" pipe before the first split to two 6" pipes.

At some point I would like to eliminate the filter on the cyclone and just exhaust the fines, after the cyclone, to the outside.

gmakra

New User
George
Mark hit the nail on the hear,
5 inch spiral pipe is going to be hard to find it is much more expensive and works no better than snap lock also known as KD or knock down pipe.
If you Pop rivet your fittings together instead of using screws you should eliminate any point to get debris snagged on it wrap the joints in foil tape.
Get your self a good pair of Nalko right hand tin snips and a crimping tool, always point the crimp in the direction of flow.
The aftermarket dust collection biz charges a fortune for high end fittings and pipe and it works no better than regular old air conditioning duct work.
Go to any industrial place where they have large "Torit" dust collection systems and it done in regular old AC duct work.
I understand not wanting to take out the trash but you sure you want a 55 gallon drum for a receptacle?

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Mark hit the nail on the hear,
5 inch spiral pipe is going to be hard to find it is much more expensive and works no better than snap lock also known as KD or knock down pipe.
If you Pop rivet your fittings together instead of using screws you should eliminate any point to get debris snagged on it wrap the joints in foil tape.
Get your self a good pair of Nalko right hand tin snips and a crimping tool, always point the crimp in the direction of flow.
The aftermarket dust collection biz charges a fortune for high end fittings and pipe and it works no better than regular old air conditioning duct work.
Go to any industrial place where they have large "Torit" dust collection systems and it done in regular old AC duct work.
I understand not wanting to take out the trash but you sure you want a 55 gallon drum for a receptacle?
Yes quite certain. I have a 35 gallon fiber now and have to empty it more often than I like. I do all rough wood and use my planer and joiner often. I also tend to do larger projects like tables and similar size. I would prefer to have to empty it around once a project. I may end up being lazy and just adapt the fiber drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS