Opinions needed on Footprint Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am looking into possibly buying a set of Footprint chisels from Sears for use as a starter set. The price is right, $ 6.00 per chisel.

I know nothing about them and can find precious little in the way of online reviews. I know it used to be a good brand name, but with Sears "Good-Better-Best" lines and the way namebrands are being bought up and repackaged, It seemed best to ask around. I am not sure if all the blue poly handle Footprints are the same steel and Heat treatment.

it is Sears:
Footprint Tools 9 pc. Chisel Set with Tool Roll

Sears item# 00936831000 Mfr. model# 36831

As I said, these would be for a basic shop starter set for all around use. I am just a beginner. Right now I have a mongrel set that I have assembled over the years, mainly Stanley #60's and I need a few more sizes.

Mainly I was wondering how the Poly handles would feel and hold up and how edge holding quality of the steel. Not much actual information out there. They seem to be a shorter chisel, which is something I am comfortable with.

Any and all opinions about any aspects of these tools would be appreciated and useful.

Thanks
Mark

RayH

New User
Ray
For years I was a Craftsman guy:icon_chee. However, I have been disappointed the past few years with the overall quality of Sears' products. Don't know if it was their association with Land's End or with K-Mart, but something happened. As to the chisels, I can only note that the 9-tool set is not something that I can find on Footprint's web site. I have found other things in Sears that are manufactured by others, but the specifications laid out by Sears.:eusa_thin

JMTCW, but good luck.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The current FWW has a review of 23 different chisels.
Narex was given besst buy status at about $6.
Just google and you'll find them.
Irwin/Marples are also good and easier to find.

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I just picked up 8 of the Narex chisel (a 4-pc set and 4 loose ones) They came out at around $6 per chisel before shipping.

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_015.jpg

I haven't done much with them yet except make a rack to hold them. I was very impressed with the edge right out of the box and their construction looks to be very solid. I purchased based on the excellent review in FWW.

I avoid Crapsman these days at all costs...it ain't what it used to be :thumbs_do

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
They don't look bad. The handles look comparable to the Record/Irwin/Marples and $6 each isn't bad. I would probably do it.

As for your current chisels, I would not consider them a mongrel batch. I have 3 complete sets of chisels now (Freud, Record, Robert Sorby) along with a bunch of singles, and in most instances, I still go to the singles Some hold an edge better, some just feel better in my hands, and some I am much more confident with. My advice is to use and keep them all as when one gets dull it is nice to have a spare to just grab instead of having to stop and sharpen. JMTCW

DavidF

New User
David
The chisels I am looking at are not a Sears branded product. They are made by Footprint in Sheffield, England and sold by Sears. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. The Footprint site is kind of vague on steel and heat treatment.

Below is a picture of what they are selling.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1304/Footprint_chisels.jpeg

Thanks
Mark

Footprint tools in the UK have always had a pretty good reputation so you shouldn't go too far wrong. I have had a set of cheapish Marples Bluechip chisels for as long as I can remember and they do just fine. We don't use these things everyday on a production line and ALL chisels (maybe LN excepted) need the back flattening before sharpening. I would go with them. I like the poly handles because if I want to pound on them or not, I know they won't split or break. The blue chips also feel nice.

DavidF

New User
David
The chisels I am looking at are not a Sears branded product. They are made by Footprint in Sheffield, England and sold by Sears. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. The Footprint site is kind of vague on steel and heat treatment.

Below is a picture of what they are selling.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1304/Footprint_chisels.jpeg

Thanks
Mark

As I said before, Footprint tools have a good rep in the UK, but with these, the balance between handle length, tang length and blade length does,'t look quite right. Maybe take a look at the Blue chip for comparison, but it may just be the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS