Opinion on W Butcher Plane needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
First let me say, I know nothing about planes!!
My neighbor was kind enough to give me this plane after I commented he should leave it to me in his will:wink_smil.
OTTsPlane_2_.jpg

I'm not venturing into the neander world (YET) but was wondering if it is worth restoring. The only parts are the iron and body. No frog etc.
The iron has W BUTCHER and what looks to be WARRANTED CAST STEEL on it. No other markings on the iron or body that I can find.
Would I be wasting my time/money to restore? Should I just clean it up and keep it as a memento?

Thanks for your suggestions/advice.

Last edited:

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Randy...unless the sole of the plane is cracked or warped, I wouldn't do too much to it. Just make sure that the iron is well-tuned. All the planes that I have came from antique stores and other than cleaning all the grime off them, all I had do was tune the blades and put a nice sharp edge on them. It shouldn't cost you a dime.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
First let me say, I know nothing about planes!!
My neighbor was kind enough to give me this plane after I commented he should leave it to me in his will:wink_smil.
OTTsPlane_2_.jpg

I'm not venturing into the neander world (YET) but was wondering if it is worth restoring. The only parts are the iron and body. No frog etc.
The iron has W BUTCHER and what looks to be WARRANTED OASTSTEEL on it. No other markings on the iron or body that I can find.
Would I be wasting my time/money to restore? Should I just clean it up and keep it as a memento?

Thanks for your suggestions/advice.

WARRANTED CASTSTEEL
Seems to be from around the early 1800s
Blades were made in England and shipped to various parts of the world, craftsmen made their own plane bodies.
Some of these are rare and valuable.

Don't over clean, maybe don't clean at all until you hear from some of the tool collectors.

You are missing the wedge, that's all.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Here are some things to check.

Obvious cracks or checks in the body. Mainly near the front of the mouth.

Look at the mouth opening and how the sole looks in front of the iron. If its a mess, don't bother.

Also, look for a makers mark stamped in the front or rear of the plane body. If you can't find a mark, its probably not a good manufactured plane or it was made by a craftsman for his/her own use.

Look at the iron, is the back (opposite the bevel) rusted? If so, is it surface rust or pitted. If its pitted (say the first 1/2" or so) forget the iron.

As I understand woodies, they don't have a frog. Whats missing is the wedge, and maybe, depending on the age and style of the plane, a chip breaker. Many earlier planes were just single iron. If the iron has a threaded hole for a screw, odds are its a missing chip breaker.

Judging from the pic, its probably a coffin smoother. Those are rather easy to find and inexpensive, even new ones.

Of course, if you love the plane, have at it!

Jim

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!
There are no holes in the iron, Jim, so maybe no breaker...

There are a few cracks in the body but nothing major. The sole appears to be in great shape and the mouth looks intact too.

Anyone know where to get or how to make a wedge so it could be a user???

Thanks again!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I made one for an old jack plane I found in my Grandpa's basement after he died and the vultures had picked over the rest. It was for a laminated plane iron (tapered with soft steel forged to the hardened cutting steel). You will need to pick up the angle for the shoulders from your plane with the iron in it. the center portion is the chip breaker, so has to be recessed a bit to let the chips roll up and break off.

Hope this helps (click on image for larger picture)

Go

nelsone

New User
Ed
Check out this one. It may give you an idea about making a wedge. The iron is substantial enough that it doesn't need a cap iron. How wide is the mouth? Make a wedge, sharpen it and see what it can do!

No, it's not mine.

6-17-08_093.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS