Opinion of Dovetail Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
OK guys, my budget will easily cover the Porter Cable 4212 jig. It comes with a couple templates and their propriotary bits. Anyone have any additional comments? I can buy from Amazon for $136.00 delivered. I do not want to waste my money so please feel free to comment.

R

rickc

Take a few extra minutes if you have not already done so and search for reviews of the template. You normally end up at Amazon, but sometimes you can luck out on articles comparing jigs.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Windknot,
I've been looking at the same jig. On the Amazon page, you can download and read the entire manual as a .pdf. It helped me get a better feel for exactly what it could do, although no real feel for how well or how easily. It's worth a read though if you're seriously considering it.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Just another option - the Stots Jig. It is under $100 and is a pseudo DIY version of the Keller. I just ordered and received one but haven't used it yet. I'll post a full review when I get to play with it. I like the idea because you can use it with the router table or freehand router and it was reasonably priced.

Steve D

Roy

New User
Roy Smith
I bought a PC 4212 about a month ago and have cut about half a dozen dovetails. It is easy to set up and creates very accurate dovetails. Adjusting the template requires a little trial and error. My first joint was too tight, so I moved the template back about a 32nd and the joint fit perfectly. I don't particularly like the PC proprietary bits, but have found that Whiteside also now makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS