Operating tips for the Varigrind #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywelder

New User
David
I seek your tips, and instructions for getting the best edge using my Wolverine Varigrind #2 jig.
As my efforts are not paying dividends, and I am grinding away my 3/8 bowl gouge!

I need also, instructions or tips on how much to leave as stick out when loading the gouge into the varigrind 2, is it 2 inches or more like ______ ?

What 'letter' should I choose to set the "leg" of the varigrind to?
How high does the 'rest' the varigrind2 rest upon....will give the best angle?

So you know, I am thinking a 45 degree angle would be great on a 3/8 bowl gauge and grind the corners back...or perhaps add a fingernail grid?

What angle you think is best? how do you achieve that with a
Varigrind 2?
I await your replies.
Flywelder

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I seek your tips, and instructions for getting the best edge using my Wolverine Varigrind #2 jig.
As my efforts are not paying dividends, and I am grinding away my 3/8 bowl gouge!

I await your replies.
Flywelder

Scott---------The Oneway web site has a lot of that information included on their web site. http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/vari-grind.htm

Also, the same information comes in print with the jig. I'll do some more browsing to see what I find. The protrusion I use with my jig is 1 3/4" .

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/vari-grind.pdf This is a link to the instruction sheet for the varigrind.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/wlvrinervu.html This is a review by Tom Hintz.

Jerry

Last edited:

flywelder

New User
David
Thanks for the reply!:icon_thum

I have been using 2 inch stick out, and I will now try 1 3/4 inch.

I looked over the links...very helpful, and thanks!... can you find any like that for the Vari grind model #2 ? ..... which is what I have, and not the first varigrind model.
Thanks, I'll watch for your reply.
Scott

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The inches out really won't matter much, as long as you are in the range and consistent. The trick Jimmy Clewes teaches about using the depth of the pivot stop on the V1 jig is great. I just glued a block about 2" in from the edge of my grinding station as a stop point for future grinds. It really shouldn't be too hard to use the jig, and the new one looks even better, but either work fine ... just takes a few practice goes at it.

My recommendation ... light touch, go slow, and don't stop at any one place.

flywelder

New User
David
Thanks Wood wrangler, good tips.:icon_thum

I now am undecided about where to set the 'angle' / degree of the "leg."?
Your suggestions?

I could not find any info on the varigrind 2 on one way's web site...odd?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Scott, I have the Varigrind 2 also, but have not yet tried it. But I notice than in the box is a DVD that has a video about it. Haven't looked at it either.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, I just did a quick watch of the video and it is great. There are some implict tips on why shapes and angles should what for different purposes.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

BTW, unlike the original varigrind, they make an explicit protrusion requirement of 1 3/4 "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors