Only in Hawaii .....

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Only in Hawaii will you see a row in Costco dedicated to Spam.......... :oops: During the Holidays there are 6-8 of various flavors

20200628_092724.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
According to www.Spam.com, there are over 20 flavors of Spam sold in Hawaii:

Classic, Pumpkin Spice, Lite, Less Sodium, With Real Hormel Bacon, Oven Roasted Turkey,
Hickory Smoke, Hot and Spicy, Jalapeno, Teriyaki, Black Pepper, Chorizo, With Portuguese Sausage Seasoning,
Tocino, Garlic, With Cheese, Mezclita, Pineapple, Maui Snow, Macadamia Nut, and Hawaiian Rainbow.

However, the flavors don't stop there - there are many of flavors that are not distributed to Hawaii: i.e. Portuguese Sausage Seasoning, Hickory Smoke, Golden Honey Grail and Stinky French Garlic to name a few more.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's my understanding you can get a SPAM sandwich at McDonalds's there.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
And Spam Misubi a spam sushi kind of thing ........ and yes they from time to time have a spam sandwich.

Also .. A Spam museum .... REALLY ??? ......... wow, it should move to Lake Wobegon ....... hehhehe

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
When I was a little kid I disliked, but still ate the Spam. Now days I tend to enjoy it much more. When I was single I would make a macaroni salad using Spam, from a recipe on the side of the can. The salad would lsat about 3-4 meals for me then, not so much now though, as my belt bears testimony! Long live the real SPAM!

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Spam is delicious IMO. I love it fried. We don't see the various flavors in the stores here in Tallahassee, but brought a bunch back from Hawaii. I recall my Mom saying she worked for Hormel briefly at some point, probably around the time Spam was introduced (1937) so she may or may not have worked there when Spam existed. I recall family members mentioning a slogan, "You can tell by the smell, it's Hormel". Not sure if they actually used that slogan or if it was a family joke.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Spam is delicious IMO. I love it fried. We don't see the various flavors in the stores here in Tallahassee, but brought a bunch back from Hawaii. I recall my Mom saying she worked for Hormel briefly at some point, probably around the time Spam was introduced (1937) so she may or may not have worked there when Spam existed. I recall family members mentioning a slogan, "You can tell by the smell, it's Hormel". Not sure if they actually used that slogan or if it was a family joke.

So you're from Austin, Minnesota? Where was the Spam plant? Where is the fictional Lake Wobegon?

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
So you're from Austin, Minnesota? Where was the Spam plant? Where is the fictional Lake Wobegon?
No not me, but Mom and Dad were both from Minnesota or at least moved there very early in life (Mom was born in South Dakota). I was born and raised near Baltimore, Md.

I don't know exactly when or where Mom worked for Hormel, it was only ever briefly mentioned and not in much detail. She was born in 1916, but I don't know at what age she was or where she was living at the time.

Places that I remember as them living, where I have or had relatives, and that I visited as a kid tend to be within 20 miles of Austin (Albert Lea, Glenville, and Myrtle). So it may have been in Austin, but I don't know.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Pete, Hormel has cleaned that up quite a lot. I don't really thing there's much smell at least outside the plant. It's still a big part of Austin, though.

Jeff, Lake Wobegon does not show up on maps because in the 19th century when the incompetent surveyors came through that part of the state they missed the entire county.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pete, Hormel has cleaned that up quite a lot. I don't really thing there's much smell at least outside the plant. It's still a big part of Austin, though.

Jeff, Lake Wobegon does not show up on maps because in the 19th century when the incompetent surveyors came through that part of the state they missed the entire county.

I did find out that there isn't really a lake in Austin, MN, but Lake Lea is about 20 miles away in Lea. Maybe that's what the surveyors missed that could have been Lake Wobegon?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
No. Lake Wobegon isn't supposed to be anywhere close to Austin. It's in central Minnesota, not southern Minnesota like Austin.

but Lake Lea is about 20 miles away in Lea.

That's Albert Lea Lake on the edge of which lies the city of Albert Lea.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No. Lake Wobegon isn't supposed to be anywhere close to Austin. It's in central Minnesota, not southern Minnesota like Austin.

That's Albert Lea Lake on the edge of which lies the city of Albert Lea.

So where on a map is the mythical Lake Wobegon in central Minnesota?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS