'Online Indicater & Last seen on'

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Is the "Last Online" entry a new feature? I haven't figured out its true purpose yet but my first impression is it makes that portion of the header look a little too busy. Just my $.02

D L

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McRabbet

Re: Last of the old features

Looks great.:icon_thum
Is the "Last Online" entry a new feature? I haven't figured out its true purpose yet but my first impression is it makes that portion of the header look a little too busy. Just my $.02

D L
I agree with DL -- I'd prefer to see the Member's name here... my $.02, too!

Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

...... Is the "Last Online" entry a new feature? I haven't figured out its true purpose yet but my first impression is it makes that portion of the header look a little too busy. Just my $.02

D L
It just tells when that person was last on line. I can move it or I can eliminate it.

Tell me what you think.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

I understand about it making it look too busy, but I don't understand what it is meant by prefering the Member's name here. Are we talking about the same thing here??

Some clarification please

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

It just tells when that person was last on line. I can move it or I can eliminate it.

Tell me what you think.

Steve, like the others, I would prefer to see this removed and replaced by users name. I can make the change but didn't want to mess with it until we heard what others had to say. Again, the two lines the "Last Online" takes up just seems a little busy. I guess another option would be to change the template to do away with the "time" portion and just leave the date.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty

I understand about it making it look too busy, but I don't understand what it is meant by prefering the Member's name here. Are we talking about the same thing here??

The member's name used to be listed there. That was better than "last online".

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

The member's name used to be listed there. That was better than "last online".
Duh, not enough coffee yet. Easy.

But I really want the last online somewhere. This is information, I use all the time. Any suggestions to where I might put it. Polite suggestions that is:rolf:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Steve, the "user name" that has shown up before was the actual users name and not their "nick" or site handle. I guess to help clarify this we can use "Splinter" as an example. Whenever Splinter posts, his "bigusername" at the top of the header would still reflect "Splinter" but beneath his avatar his username would be reflected as "Dolan". To me this helps when posting a reply when you would prefer to use the persons name as opposed to their site handle.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Duh, not enough coffee yet. Easy.

But I really want the last online somewhere. This is information, I use all the time. Any suggestions to where I might put it. Polite suggestions that is:rolf:

Steve, lets try adding the user name back in and then place the "last online" (minus the ">time" portion) entry below to see how that looks. I think the thing that bothers me most about the "last Online" entry is the way it takes up two lines. I think if it was only one line it might look better.

If we remove the ">time" portion and leave the "date" would that still give you the information you need?

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris

Thanks for specifying! :lol: I would suggest putting it in the mouseover for the "online status" icon, instead of just saying "____ is offline".

I think that's a great idea, DL! Takes up less valuable realestate that way!

Monty

New User
Monty

Somebody must have split this out from that other thread. I suppose the forum deserves a 'status update' on this issue. It is really still up in the air right now. Making that information show up in the "ALT text" for the status icon technically just does not work properly. There are some other options, though. We have been playing around with things like this - click on "Join date" in the profile information to the left, and see what happens. You have to click again (click anywhere) to turn it off. This is not perfect, but it's kind of neat. We could also put more profile fields like this in the user drop-down menu that shows up when you click on the user name at the top of each post. Just letting you guys know it's a work in progress.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

I can not a lie, it was I that split it off:-D
Somebody must have split this out from that other thread. I suppose the forum deserves a 'status update' on this issue. It is really still up in the air right now. Making that information show up in the "ALT text" for the status icon technically just does not work properly. There are some other options, though. We have been playing around with things like this - click on "Join date" in the profile information to the left, and see what happens. You have to click again (click anywhere) to turn it off. This is not perfect, but it's kind of neat. We could also put more profile fields like this in the user drop-down menu that shows up when you click on the user name at the top of each post. Just letting you guys know it's a work in progress.

M

McRabbet

Monty -- I like the Join Date Click -- I suspect this is not a feature that most users will care about, but for Moderators and Administrators, it is a good solution. (Just like your subliminal...) As long as Papa Smurf is happy....

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS