Oneway Collet chuck?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Anyone here have this collet chuck?
I need to know how much leeway it allows in the size of the turning stock.
Does it have to be exactly say 3/4 inch to fit the 3/4 inch jaws or can it be 1/8 inch over/under? 1/16? 1/32?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Mike, there's an 800 number for Oneway on that link. I'd think they could tell you the answer to your question.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was trying to find real world customer experience with the chuck.

Guess I'll send an e-mail.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a buddy who likes his, you need their set up to receive the collet, but that not unusual. I gues it depends on the accuracy and tolerances you are looking for.

Or, maybe you should just get a full metal lathe setup for about 5-10,000 bucks ......... :p :p

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can get a tool room lathe for $1800 and I know how to use it. That’s not the point.

i don’t have room for another lathe, I have two more that I don’t have room to set up now.

i just want to get the collet chuck that fits what I have and use already.

Still waiting on a reply from Oneway.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
From looking t the website and photos, I would say when the jaws are fully closed, the "true" diameter of the collet pads is 3/4" +/- a VERY tight machining tolerance at fully closed. I would guess something like +/-.002 or so, maybe less. This diameter would only apply to the straight section of the pads however, not the serrations that are designed to bite into the workpiece to hold the work. Those appear to be diametrically much smaller (assumed in the waste area of your workpiece). this is much like fixed diameter tooling for metal lathes. As for the max diameter, thats completely dependent on your chuck opening, however as you increase from 3/4" diameter, the gripping surface is no longer a true circle.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Couldn’t get a concise answer on that. The service rep went out of his way to go get one and measure the minimum and a reasonable guess looking at it for the max. He said at the spec size 1/2 inch there is about 1/8 inch between the jaws. And fully closed it is just under 7/16 at the smooth part of the jaw while the grippers are a little smaller.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS