Oneway 1224 worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I have a simple quick honest question.
What is a used in good condition Oneway 1224 worth? Just the lathe, tool rest and banjo.
I see one on the web for $1,400. Honest answers please. If this is a good deal I'm sure it won't last.
If not, what is a decent offer to present? The lathe is 6 hours away. Thank you in advance.. Wes

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
What is a used in good condition Oneway 1224 worth? Just the lathe, tool rest and banjo.
I see one on the web for $1,400. Honest answers please. If this is a good deal I'm sure it won't last.
If not, what is a decent offer to present? Thank you in advance. Wes

Sounds about right if its in fair condition, I would warn you though while a Oneway lathe is definitely a high quality piece of equipment, this model is small. The headstock is also fixed, limiting your swing for bowls to 12.5" diameter. Im guessing the owner is upgrading. It comes down to what you plan on making on it longterm. For $1400 you should be able to find a used Jet 1640 or similar used (possibly). I say possibly because guys just dont part with these things once they have them!

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
They are only $2491 new - so taking our "usual" adage of a used piece of equipment starts at 50% of new - ~$1200 to me is a fair starting point...

To Chris' point - you may be able to buy "more" lathe (larger swing, accessories etc.) of an alternate brand... but, this is a one-way lathe! (that HAS to factor into it. As with any tool purchase - what do you intend to turn? (bowls, platters? you will outgrow this lathe quickly. On the other hand, if you plan to turn things less than 12" in diameter, then this will b a VERY robust lathe and likely outshine anything in this size. (stability and features, but, as you know, you are paying for this!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
If not, what is a decent offer to present? The lathe is 6 hours away. Thank you in advance.. Wes

It all comes down to what you would like to turn now and in the future. Getting this tool in the shop is work. You won't want to do it again in a year. That's a big question.

I turn spindles by the hundreds and the Oneway and the General with variable speed controls are a must for me.
22_Oct_down_0351.jpg

The quality of a Oneway is great. I don't see that many on of these for sale like this so it might be a good deal. In my travels, I find the majority of turners are doing bowls and plates so maybe the swing is the issue here.

I guess my question to you is what lathes have you tried? What lathe does it for you now?

Good luck hunting
Dan

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Thanks you guys! Great advice. Although the Oneway is a great lathe I agree with y'all. Not very versatile. I believe I'll wait. I've used the Powermatic 1636 and the Jet 1642 (Same maker) and loved them. I actually owned the Powermatic years back. Yeah I regret selling that one lol.

It all comes down to what you would like to turn now and in the future. Getting this tool in the shop is work. You won't want to do it again in a year. That's a big question.

I turn spindles by the hundreds and the Oneway and the General with variable speed controls are a must for me.
22_Oct_down_0351.jpg

The quality of a Oneway is great. I don't see that many on of these for sale like this so it might be a good deal. In my travels, I find the majority of turners are doing bowls and plates so maybe the swing is the issue here.

I guess my question to you is what lathes have you tried? What lathe does it for you now?

Good luck hunting
Dan

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wes,
Knowing now that you had and used a larger lathe (16XX) I do not think you would be happy with the 1224 for size, but sturdiness etc. you likely would have, regardless, I think waiting to find the "right one" is a better choice... JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS