Oneida Dust Sentry Help

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon - I recently discovered that my dust sentry was not working. I remember not too long ago that the bin lid fell off the connector hose (bin was not under the lid at the time). I think there was not enough slack in the sensor lead so when the kid fell it pulled all of the sensor wires out of their connections and I'm not sure where they go.

The components of this mechanism are
1. 24 volt DC power supply which operates off of a 110 input. The output is a black and Black with Grey Stripe set of wires
2. 24 volt strobe light with red and black wires
3. A Banner QS18VP6D proximity sensor with 4 wires (blue, white, brown and black)

All wire connections are done inside a plastic box which the strobe light attaches to. Here is a photo of the connection box

Dust Sntry Components.JPG

Right now the black wire from the DC power supply is connected to the black from the strobe. The red from the strobe has no connection - but there is a connector on it.

The black with grey stripe from the power supply also has no wire connected but it does have a connector. The remaining wires are from the proximity sensor.

Here is the wiring diagram from the banner web site for this sensor

Sensor wiring.JPG

The color key is
1 - brown
2 - white
3 - blue
4 - black

Problem is I don't know how to read the diagram so if anyone can open there dust sentry connection box and check the wiring or give me a little guidance on the correct connections I would appreciate it. Just a note that my understanding is that a change was made to the sensor at some point. I think they went to an NPN output (mine is a PNP). In the NPN the 1 and 3 wires are reversed.

Thanks

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
1. 24 volt DC power supply which operates off of a 110 input. The output is a black and Black with Grey Stripe set of wires
2. 24 volt strobe light with red and black wires
3. A Banner QS18VP6D proximity sensor with 4 wires (blue, white, brown and black)

Sensor Wire 3 = GND --> Black wires from power supply and strobe light and blue wire from sensor all tied together.
Sensor Wire 1 = Power for Sensor --> brown wire from sensor and wire from power supply (black w/ grey stripe).
Sensor Wire 4 = Sensor Output (appears to be normally open). Connects to red wire from strobe light.
Sensor Wire 2 = Unused Sensor Output (appears to be normally closed)

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks so much Jeremy - that is very clear. The one exception is the #2 (white) sensor wire being unused. It appears from the Banner illustration that the white is connected but that may be more ofa generic schematic.

Did you look at a dust sentry unit or are you just that smart :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Did you look at a dust sentry unit or are you just that smart :)
[/QUOTE]

Not sure whether he looked at a dust sentry or not, but irrespective of if he did or did not...he's smart!:cool:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I was able to figure out the GND node and the +24V node without any trouble. This only left me with the red wire from the strobe light and two wires from the sensor that it could connect to (black wire and white wire). I was a bit stumped at that point so I had to cheat and open up my dust sentry to figure that out. That was nice because it made it easy to confirm everything.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
The one exception is the #2 (white) sensor wire being unused. It appears from the Banner illustration that the white is connected but that may be more of a generic schematic.

They are showing two separate loads in their schematic. The dust sentry only has one load, the strobe light. This is where I believe the black wire output is "normally open" and the white wire output is "normally closed".

SensorWhite WireBlack Wire
BlockedOpen Circuit24V
Not Blocked24VOpen Circuit

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Hey Jeremy - I followed your very clear description and ,in ten minutes, had a working dust sentry. Thanks a lot - I appreciate your help!

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS