One more DC question

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What are the cons to putting the entire DC unit outside? I have 18' of covered space, 6' with side walls directly behind the shop. Obviously would be subject to humidity. Wouldn't get wet from rain. Don't think I've ever seen this area get wet, even with major storms. At least the area with sides. Would mount it relatively high to keep floor space clear.

Thoughts?

20210713_155644.jpg

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
That sounds like a great location for it - I'd consider putting your air compressor out there as well, (maybe opposite sides of the covered area that's on a pad), to keep the noise down inside.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
That sounds like a great location for it - I'd consider putting your air compressor out there as well, (maybe opposite sides of the covered area that's on a pad), to keep the noise down inside.
I've got a California Air Compressor, can't even hear it run most of the time. Plus it is pretty small so doesnt take a lot of floor space. I do want to keep it inside to help with the internal tank moisture.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Shop has a mini split. So no humidity inside.
HA! Mini splits are great. I have one, but the coils run just above dew point so they are terrible at de-humidifying. I have to run a dehumidifier. Coils about 45 degrees where the high efficiency splits are more like 52 to 55. I am able to keep 74 degrees and 55% year round.

CA compressors. Wish I knew about them when I replaced my old Craftsman with a new one. Stupid me, when I bought my little Senco, I did know about them but was not sure, so I have a horrible noisy big one and a just noisy little one. Actually the Senco is not bad.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I did just that...no problems...glad I did it.....more space, less noise, no filter, easier to empty collection barrel....win, win, win, win.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I bought the Lowes version of the CA compressor. I haven't been disappointed. It's noise is easy to live with. My old Emglo sounded like the hammers-of-hades.

Pop

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Shop has a mini split. So no humidity inside.
What type of DC unit? There are a couple considerations on outside DC units.

You have to take into consideration return air or you’ll be dumping conditioned air out of the shop. Also, if It’s a cyclone when the collection drum fills that’s bad news if you’re running filters.

Doable, if you route exhaust back into shop, remote IR sensor in collection drum.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What type of DC unit? There are a couple considerations on outside DC units.

You have to take into consideration return air or you’ll be dumping conditioned air out of the shop. Also, if It’s a cyclone when the collection drum fills that’s bad news if you’re running filters.

Doable, if you route exhaust back into shop, remote IR sensor in collection drum.
It is a Grizzly 2 HP unit. Rarely use it for more than a few minutes at a time. Not terribly worried about return air. Shop is tight, but not that tight. Can open window if needed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS