olive wood turning

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
A neighbor brought back a 3-4 " dia. branch of olive wood , from the Holy land. Would anyone be willing to try to turn some small bowls ? She will pay for your efforts.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't help with the bowl but I have used Olive Wood for a few pen turnings and scroll saw work. When you work it is does smell just like olive oil.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
A neighbor brought back a 3-4 " dia. branch of olive wood , from the Holy land. Would anyone be willing to try to turn some small bowls ? She will pay for your efforts.
Wow Tim. 3 to 4" doesn't leave much to work with! What is she looking for? End grain, side grain, plain bowls, decorative bowls? I've never turned Olive wood but would certainly give it a go! Is the wood wet or dry? I prefer dry but I'd hope she also understands that when turning wet wood, there is the warping and/or cracking factors to consider.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
She might instead consider pen/pencils, letter openers, magnifying glass, or several other items that can be made from the olive wood by a skilled pen maker, that can dry and stabilize the wood first. Olive wood is strikingly beautiful for it's light colors and darker grains, but such a small piece to work with would make a very small bowl, but can be done.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Tim, I can turn a small bowl if that's what she's after! This is Cherry with three captured rings!
2017-12-25 19.53.06.jpg

2017-12-25 19.54.08.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nice Michael, and the right size too! That might just get some interest from the lady!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Awhile back I got a branch from a locust and turned a vase out of it. The pith was in the center and I was worried about the vase cracking so I soaked the bottom with thin CA glue and have never had a crack. This has been maybe 10 years so it looks to be successful. The olive branch could be turned like Michael shows and the pith sealed off with CA glue. Depends on how long it is as to whether there is any length surplus to be used as a test piece.

Roy G

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Great looking little chalice Michael. My neighbor has been out of touch for a few days. I'll get more input when I can.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS