Olive Ash Burl and Wenge Coffee Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I recently completed a coffee table that I was commissioned to design and build. The customer had an olive ash burl slab that had been warehoused for over 20 years, and wanted me to make a coffee table. The slab had natural edges, and he wanted that appearance preserved. I produced several different concepts for the table base, and after some revisions, eventually arrived at a base that I felt complemented the top, but did not draw attention away from it. We discussed various options for the wood to use for the base, and ultimately decided upon wenge. Fortunately, I live close to World Timber in Hubert, NC, and had no problem obtaining the wenge in the needed dimensions. Here is the concept sketch that I created with Sketchup, which I use for all of my design work as well as construction drawings.

Coffee_Table_Final.jpg

Here are couple of views of the completed table.

P1310276_15801.JPGP1310290_15941.JPG

The slab had a some water damage on the ends that required removing, but was otherwise in great shape. I wire brushed the edges, and used a flap sander to polish them. The imprints of the rootlets of a vine that had been growing on the tree became apparent during this process, and I preserved those, as I thought it added some interesting detail.

20160506_085045.jpgP1310299_16031.JPG

I had some concern about the stability of the base, so I built a mock up of the base out 2 x 4's. As it turned out, it was quite stable, although I did tweak the dimensions of the original design a bit to optimize the stability.

20160504_111338.jpg

Construction of the base was a bit challenging. I elected to use miter joints which I glued together, then cut slots for multiple splines which were then glued into place. Once the splines were cut off flush and sanded, the final shaping of the legs was done.

20160513_135350.jpg20160514_080803.jpg20160514_142456.jpg

The customer was very happy with the result, as was I. For those who might be interested, there are a few more photos in my NCWW gallery in the album "Olive Ash Burl and Wenge Coffee Table." Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers,

Matt

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW Matt!
That is amazing! Great design and wonderful execution!

Cato

New User
Bob
Excellent! Impressive undertaking and stunning results. Congrats on a great build!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding craftsmanship, Matt! That is a really cool looking coffee table.

JGregJ

Greg
User
Looks great, and also appreciate the all details on the process in the post - helps me learn. Nice solution on those joints. Is there anything connecting the top to the base?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful, beautiful piece, Matt. Thanks for sharing how you strengthened the miter joints. When I looked at the first pics I was wondering if those joints would hold. The splines were an excellent choice, and well executed.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. I echo Bill's comments about the ingenious way you strengthened those joints. Wouldn't have thought of that myself.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Looks great, and also appreciate the all details on the process in the post - helps me learn. Nice solution on those joints. Is there anything connecting the top to the base?

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. I considered several ways to attach the top to the base, but ultimately decided to use simple steel table top fasteners, the kind that look like a figure 8. They are about 1/8" thick, and there is one recessed into the top of each leg. One screw goes into the leg, and one into the top. These can actually rotate, so any small movement across the width of the slab will be accommodated for by a little rotation of the fasteners. They are quite secure, and the whole table can be easily lifted by the top.

Matt

gritz

New User
Robert
Certainly ranks among the best I've ever seen. Very few slab tables approach the balance and flow your design expresses.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully designed and executed! I agree with you, the "rootlets" do add an interesting feature to an already gorgeous slab!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well done Matt. Looking at the leg joinery I am quite certain that will hold up an elephant.

A couple questions:
Is that large slab really cut from a burl or is it from a wavy olive trunk? Its so big I've not seen a burl with that grain pattern from an outgrowth on a tree? That would be the largest burl in olive I've ever seen.

What finish did you use?

Again beautiful design and execution

Dan

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Matt, that is really gorgeous work!!

I absolutely love the tapers within the curves of the base; that is a great touch that lightens it up and elegantly draws the eye upwards to the focalpoint!

I too am curious about the answer to Dan's question. After avoiding the task for a mere 3.467 years, I have finally organized all the veneer that I have bought at auctions of yesteryear and I have discovered that I have about 100+ sheets [~3' x 4'ish(?)] of veneer that (sequentially) match the slab that you have. I have consulted my extensive digital archives and found the following images of the slices in question:

Veneer buys 2.jpgVeneer buys.jpgVeneer buys 3.jpgVeneer buys 4.jpg

I'm not sure that this is the same stuff; but the aforementioned digital archive describes the pallet as 'Myrtle Wood Veneer'. I am highly confident that two of those three words in the description are correct; less so about the remaining word. I will leave it to the reader to decide which words have earned my trust. (OK, in fairness, the FULL description included the additional words: "on pallet". FYI: I'm feeling pretty good about those two words as well...)

In any event; stunning work! You should be very proud of it!

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS