Old Wood - New Wood

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I did some modifications on the house and decided to share the old wood I took out vs the new wood framing material.
1st off, The house is almost 50 years old (48.5). The person who built the house was a Japanese carpenter, so there are a lot of cool joinery in it. But, the biggest thing is the house is built with Clear Redwood, Clear Cedar and Clear Doug Fir. Everything, all the framing and finish. Sometimes I think I should demo the whole house and sell the wood and start over and I would be rich !!!......... not really. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the pixs show the old fir tight grain and part of a 100-150 plus year old tree.
The new stud cutoff is a tree 35-40 years old. These trees are smaller wider rings, less strength, etc ..... The last thing is the nails, even though they were under the eave where this was taken out, a 50 year old galvanized nail with almost no rust. Can't believe it, they don't make these like this today. Considering I am in Hawaii surrounded by the ocean and we have sulfuric particulates due to the Volcano, one would think the metal would be much more corroded.

Thought I would share.

Attachments

• 2x4-nail (1).jpg
    2x4-nail (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • 2x4-nail (2).jpg
    2x4-nail (2).jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 162

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Nice. I had some similarly tight grained pine boards in an old barn I took down on my property.

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS