old tool rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
My Dad found some vintage hand saws and a draw knife for me.
they look solid and will need a good sharpening.

the saws are rusty though. any thoughts about how to clean them up without ruining the vintage tools?

one of the saws has the "nib" on the end? Nobody really knows what that for per Roys book. Any other thoughts?

thanks.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You are using my new favorite word! Saws!

Are you thinking the saws are collector quality? If so, you may not want to touch them at all. With Ed Hobbs big meet end of july, taking them there might be a good start.

If you plan to use the saws, I like to start with 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits or wd-40. If its more rust than comes off easily, on to stage two. If you want to sand a bit, 220 wet dry, nothing courser. Either way, this is only for surface rust.

For either collector or user saws, I'm partial to electolysis or potato water. You'd want to remove the handle as both methods involve submersion in water. Potato water takes about 2 weeks, but works great.

I posted a bunch of links to hand saw sites, they include some guides on saw restoration. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f30/handsaws-resources-faq-22257/

One link is on cleaning saws, http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/saw_clean/saw_clean.html

A few pics are always appreciated so we can say things like "wow, cool, and you lucky duck".

If you have room in your truck, feel free to bring them on Saturday. There are those among us who are saw obsessed these days.

The nib? Oh brother, thats a can of worms. I'm not gonna get into it, other than to say, there are no definitive answers. The nib is lost to history as far as it purpose. Me, I think they are there to clean under ones fingernails.

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Thanks for the details. I will check out these links for sure.
How do you do the potato water trick?? :icon_scra Is it done after steel wool etc?

Len

New User
Len
When I get vintage (30's, 40's era) tinplate trains in for repair I use a product called Evapo-Rust to remove serious rust deposits. The MSDS and such is available on their web site: http://www.evaporust.com

It should work as well for removing rust from saws and other old tools without damaging the metal under the rust.

Len

02blues

New User
john
just found some "rustaid" in the garage. Used to clean several surfaces including "stainless steel and chrome". From Lowes. Thoughts?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Here is a thread on potato water, it has a link to a video too.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f57/new-use-potatoes-21065/?highlight=potato+rust

Oh, while Nick Engler seals his stuff up in a big pvc tube contraption, I just uses a plastic shoebox and lid that was laying in my junk pile. I don't think it needs to be air tight.

But, do it outside. It smells pretty bad during the first week. I won't tell you how I figured out not to do it in the laundry room. Which I forgot about and spent the better part of an afternoon looking for some dead gopher under my house.....

Its up to you if you feel like steel wool'n before soaking. I have learned that oils seem to inhibit electrolysis/potato soaking. So I ususally use dishsoap or that Green stuff to remove any oil before a soak.

Worst case, you might have to wipe off the first soak and do a second soak for really bad rust.

I get a big kick out of the potato water method. Its just so darned, uhm, darned. It works great and I like the simplicity.

As far as wipe on rust removers, I've never had comparable success of the two soaking methods. But many others have.

Good luck!
Jim

Thanks for the details. I will check out these links for sure.
How do you do the potato water trick?? :icon_scra Is it done after steel wool etc?

Sully

New User
jay
When I get vintage (30's, 40's era) tinplate trains in for repair I use a product called Evapo-Rust to remove serious rust deposits.

Evaporust also works well. You can get it at Autozone or similar stores. It's kinda pricey though, but you can get multiple uses out of it.

J

Len

New User
Len
The 'multiple use' part is what I really like about the Evapo-rust. A gallon jug will last me the better part of a year, or longer.

I filter the used liquid from the container I was soaking parts in through a fine strainer (picked up on sale at Kroger) into an empty jug.

I'll add a bit from the 'new' jug when the used stuff starts getting a bit low.

So when you factor in the reusability of this stuff, the price isn't really all that bad.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS