Old Stanley #5 type identification

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Hopefully the experts here can verify whether this is a Type 5 (1885-1888) or 6 (1888-1892) based on the markings shown below.
C33E8A47-3D4D-4565-AAA9-92BA2E1A0337.jpeg

The lateral adjusting lever has two (not 3) patent dates: Feb 18 76 and Oct 21 84 which should mean Type 5.
3321399D-1EFB-4A94-90C8-1AEB86847C8F.jpeg

Attachments

• F39B57D8-DB50-43B5-A571-A2CF8EFE6FD4.jpeg
    F39B57D8-DB50-43B5-A571-A2CF8EFE6FD4.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 73

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
At first blush it looks to be a type 5. That style lateral lever was only used on the type 5. The beaded front knob was also dropped after the type 5.

Are there any other casting marks on the body?

The iron is a replacement but the chip breaker could be original. Is it marked?

Can you post pics of the toe and the number. Also pics on the frog receiver boss and the area under the tote.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
The casting only has the “No 5” marking.
DA031431-7D89-4CC1-A514-3906FB15BC5E.jpeg

Chip breaker is marked.
D24FE6E3-1F1B-4E44-AA67-8704ABEC0F15.jpeg

Frog and under tote.
A68F0BD9-4BCA-424A-9A9C-8B3F6E8BC663.jpeg

A6DF0DB1-FD41-4EA5-BC82-C2452F076E3D.jpeg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Has to be a type 5. Two dates on lateral and no disc on lateral. Yada, yada, yada.

To be honest, does it make a difference? It may be 130 years old or it may be 137 years old.

It does look to be in superb condition either way.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
A nice example of a type 5 Stanley. I'd love to have one like that.

As an aside I'd say it makes a huge difference..... and we get the chance to see and ask questions about a very uncommon plane.

This is a fairly valuable plane, especially considering it's a jack. I would want to be sure just in case I decided to sell it so I could be confident in valuation.

I own several pre-lateral Stanleys older than this one. I've seen tons of old planes in general. But I've never seen one like this in person. I'm glad I got to see it.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Really nice find. And a #5 too!

Guess that was before they put the raised "rib" under the frogs? Wonder how much difference that made in everyday use for the craftsmen back then?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I gather it falls under "collector" and would not want to over clean it up as a user.
Personally, I like the later planes with the larger wheel and frog adjustment screw as users. I can't afford collecting as even users are a lot of money on Social Security. :)

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I haven't really put one of that era through hard usage but I don't see much difference. I would think it was more economics than improvement that fostered the change.

Really nice find. And a #5 too!

Guess that was before they put the raised "rib" under the frogs? Wonder how much difference that made in everyday use for the craftsmen back then?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Correct... Collector grade.

General consensus on the web (for what that's worth) is that the SW era planes are the best users.

I gather it falls under "collector" and would not want to over clean it up as a user.
Personally, I like the later planes with the larger wheel and frog adjustment screw as users. I can't afford collecting as even users are a lot of money on Social Security. :)

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Very interesting. I have a #5, but I believe it's likely a later one from the reading. The article gives the dimensions as 14"x2". Mine is 14" long but the blade is only 1-3/4" so may have been replaced at one time?

The tote has crack through it but is probably repairable. It is missing the forward tote screw. I'll have to see if I can find a replacement.

Other than being dirty and some surface rust, I think it'll clean up and be usable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS