Old screwdrivers , New use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey All,

I, much like a bunch of you, have a problem throwing tools away. This particular incident has to do with old screwdrivers. I have a boatload, some with nice wooden handles, that are useless as screwdrivers because the head either chipped or stripped. You can only make so many scratch awls before they become abundant.

What do you guys do with your old screwdrivers, because I could use a few ideas.

Thanks,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
You could regrind the tip back to usable screw driver or make minature lathe knives from them.

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I keep em for the LOML! my good ones are hidden.....:gar-La; that way I always got a good one!:icon_thum when they get too bad you can drive em in the wall and hang schtuff on em.:icon_chee

fred p

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've read many-a-post that screwdrivers make very dangerous turning tools.

But, I'd sure not mind using them as chisels. Mainly for carving.

Jim

RandyJ

New User
Randy
As Jerry said, I usually regrind and continue to use as a screwdriver. When the tip is ground down too far to be serviceable, I make a narrow chisel or marking knife out of it.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I cut off the handles, regrind them to a good servicable condition, and use them in my battery hand drill. I especially like the long ones that allow me to use my drill in deep locations.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If they're made out of good steel you can use them as a burnisher for your scrapers.

Glennbear

Glenn
It is nice to know I am not alone in this dilemma :gar-La; I was just looking at my "collection" yesterday. I have seen/used most of the suggestions but Mark's is a new one to me that I will probably use :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS