Old Pecan tree

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Any idea what we have going on here? Been this way for years. I imagine some kind of insect damage.

Would the wood be any good if I were to ever decide to bring it down?

20201222_102158.jpg

20201222_102129.jpg

awldune

Sam
User
I believe this is a classic symptom of damage from a yellow-bellied sapsucker (a type of woodpecker that drinks sap). Whether there is damage to the wood, perhaps someone else can say.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Could be fencing was wrapped or attached, but to me the last pix looks like wood pecker marks or sap suckers..........

llucas

luke
Senior User
Thats good to know...most pecan trees I see look just that way and seem no worse for wear.
Pecan wood is good for some furniture or flooring , a lot like hickory to my thinking...but it is hard so pick your projects accordingly. Janka hardness is 1820. White oak is 1335

gritz

New User
Robert
Definitely a Sapsucker. Watched them peck my families pecan trees like that for many years at the farm. They do no damage to the wood.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Sounds almost unanimous for a yeller bellied woody woodpecker! Glad it isn't insect related.

That pecan sap must be yummy!

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
It is possible to make "maple" syrup from pecan and/or walnut sap. I understand it is only necessary to get the volume of sap needed to make whatever volume of syrup you wish to produce.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS