Old Nails, Rust and vinegar @ HD

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is a more random posting. I demo'd the railing on my house because the nails were too loose and didn't hold anymore and I didn't like the railing design. All of the railing was directly exposed to the rain/weather. I kept the redwood and the pixs are showing the nails I pulled out of it. These are 50 yr old nails.....wow still in really good shape. I attached a pix of a piece of sq-tube 3 months old that is under my canopy but the ambient moisture/salt air of Hawaii takes it toll.
Compare that to these Hot dipped nails 50 years old....... it's true they do not make them like they used to.

Finally, I bought of 30% pure Acetic acid (vinegar) they are selling @ home depot.
The odd thing is they labeled it as Vinegar....... and according to the FDA anything over 5% is supposed to labeled as Acetic acid not labeled as Vinegar.... weird ... yeah, but it is a Georgia company..... :p ..... but 30% is ideal for removing rust......;)

Oh yeah wish you were all here so I could unload some bananas on ya'll... I have 60 lbs of bananas right now and pretty sure the neighbors will be closing their blinds when they see me coming - :D

Attachments

• 20210612_105554.jpg
    20210612_105554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20210612_105601.jpg
    20210612_105601.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 125
  • 20210612_105736.jpg
    20210612_105736.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 117

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bananas in Hawaii = zucchinis/courgettes in Alabama? Makes people lock their car doors when they go to the churchs' meetings in the summertime.

=

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Early on while serving aboard my first Destroyer assignment out of Pearl Harbor, we were sent to Pago Pago, American Samoa--I was truly blessed! Samoan folks were on hand at the pier to greet us, and I ended up spending a day with a young man in his teens, and his grandfather, who took me to their home. Many times during the day I was asked if I liked bananas, to which I always answered in the affirmative. When the evening meal came, the entire extended family was in attendance, and all sat quietly watching me as they offered me various dishes, including steamed bananas--they tasted rather bland as they apparently harvest them fairly green. But I still like bananas and will cherish the memories of that meal and the wonderful people of American Samoa--and I'm still blessed, far more than I deserve.

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS