Old Machinist chest

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Have this old Everett Jennings chest, from a grandparent, used it for last 15 plus years keeping varied things.
Thinking of refinishing it, any thoughts appreciated

Attachments

• D7A4377F-981E-4B48-8E72-38F7214E90AC.jpeg
    D7A4377F-981E-4B48-8E72-38F7214E90AC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • 617D3078-9E3C-45DC-93BA-A22D0439D11A.jpeg
    617D3078-9E3C-45DC-93BA-A22D0439D11A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
  • E6857A6A-E6AC-4653-BE6A-17323C5E1913.jpeg
    E6857A6A-E6AC-4653-BE6A-17323C5E1913.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • 2D26ED6D-95D3-4455-93EB-2C60E5D938B8.jpeg
    2D26ED6D-95D3-4455-93EB-2C60E5D938B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • 33BB2619-B856-40B7-97E4-E25003AA0EBF.jpeg
    33BB2619-B856-40B7-97E4-E25003AA0EBF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
The antiques road show will be in Raleigh on May 16. If youre lucky enough to score a ticket you could take it there before deciding what to do with it.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Pete, I think it’s pretty cool you have a chest from your grandparent.

I have my late dad’s Gerstner T24 complete with tools, dad was a tool and die manufacturer. I wouldn’t think of cleaning or changing the chest in any way. I use as many of the tools in the chest as I can for my woodworking..

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I agree with Roger, I wouldn't refinish it. If you want project, use it as inspiration and build another from scratch.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'd leave the dents that give it character. Dirt isn't character and bare wood probably isn't a good idea either.

I'm with Mike. I would restore that, not to give it an as-new appearance, but to reveal the beauty of the wood and protect the wood from further damage or rot.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the end it’s your decision. My two cents is this, when I hear the term ”had you not refinished it, it would be worth more.” I cringe, why you ask, simply because based on the history of finishing and the pieces I have seen in museums, that they have all been refinished at one time in their history. These are pieces that were built to be used, lived with and cared for. So cleaning and refinishing a piece and doing it well is and should be an excepted practice. Dirt is dirt, rust is rust and both will destroy the value of a piece quicker than refinishing them.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
This link from the SAPFM forum is about a member there restoring a machinists chest owned by his father-in-law. He took the route of refinishing. It came out nice. Underneath all the dirt and darkened finish you will likely find some beautiful wood.

emichael

eric
User
In the end it’s your decision. My two cents is this, when I hear the term ”had you not refinished it, it would be worth more.” I cringe, why you ask, simply because based on the history of finishing and the pieces I have seen in museums, that they have all been refinished at one time in their history. These are pieces that were built to be used, lived with and cared for. So cleaning and refinishing a piece and doing it well is and should be an excepted practice. Dirt is dirt, rust is rust and both will destroy the value of a piece quicker than refinishing them.
I agree. If i'm going to live with an antique i don't mind the scuffs and dings but i don't want the dirt that obscures the original beauty. And who knows what got spilled or splashed on it long ago to make that "patina"?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
If it was a gun, restoring it would hurt its value. In this case I would think your only concern is the sentimental value. If it was me I would do a 100% makeover. Strip it down to the natural wood color. I think you will be amazed at how good the old wood will look. Then finish it with clear to preserve the natural look.
Regardless of what you do, by doing the work, it transforms from Grampa’s old toolbox to yours…with the memory of him every time you use it. I think he would be happy to see you use it and eventually hand it down to your grandkids. Then when your great granddaughter paints it pink, you can look down and smile knowing she ”owns” it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If it was a gun, restoring it would hurt its value. In this case I would think your only concern is the sentimental value. If it was me I would do a 100% makeover. Strip it down to the natural wood color. I think you will be amazed at how good the old wood will look. Then finish it with clear to preserve the natural look.
Regardless of what you do, by doing the work, it transforms from Grampa’s old toolbox to yours…with the memory of him every time you use it. I think he would be happy to see you use it and eventually hand it down to your grandkids. Then when your great granddaughter paints it pink, you can look down and smile knowing she ”owns” it.
My wife has her great grand father's writing desk. It was cobbled together from parts of other tables and dressers and maybe a couple chair parts.
She said he would put a fresh coat of paint on it every couple years. It is mostly black with chips where the old green peaks through. She keeps saying she is going to paint it something other than black but she never has and probably won't.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS