Old iron

gmakra

New User
George
Leaving in a few minutes to pick it up today.
That makes me the first kid on my block to have a 12 inch jointer.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Way to go George, giving a new home to poor old neglected beast! I know that old jointer will love you for it!

gmakra

New User
George
jointer.jpg
new berlin.jpg
Well I have gotten a new motor,belts, fabricated a mobile base and a few other odds and ends.
I have started it up and it runs quite smoothly but you know you are not working with a six inch machine anymore.
I am taking off the tables to get ground since they are a bit cupped.
While I am at it I am investigating putting on a Shelix head on it.
The white is a piece 1/2 UHMW for a new blade guard.

The old motor was so heavy I had to take it apart to load it on the truck to dispose of it.
While I was pulling it apart I noticed it was packed with old saw dust and who knows how old that stuff was.

gmakra

New User
George
That is one of four criminal/shop foremen at our house.
His name is Boomer who adopted us on last 4th of July we also have a brindle boxer named Bonnie a golden named Clyde and a german shepherd named Dillinger.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is one of four criminal/shop foremen at our house.
His name is Boomer who adopted us on last 4th of July we also have a brindle boxer named Bonnie a golden named Clyde and a german shepherd named Dillinger.
So gangsters all of them, huh! :D

gmakra

New User
George
Well I finally got the Byrd Shelix head on Friday.
I cant say enough good things about Byrd Tool.
If everything goes well I could run it today.

Attachments

• berlin 1.jpg
    berlin 1.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Berlin Shelix.jpg
    Berlin Shelix.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 242

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well I finally got the Byrd Shelix head on Friday.
I cant say enough good things about Byrd Tool.
If everything goes well I could run it today.
The head looks narrower than the jointer bed (or is that a trick of the camera angle?)

gmakra

New User
George
The Berlin jointer originally had babbit bearings, so the out board sides are 7 and 12 inch long.
So it is a optical illusion look at the cutter box and you will see what I am talking about.
Believe me that cutter head is the correct size 12 inch long and close to 5.5 inches inches in diameter and just shy of 75 pounds.
I did run it yesterday and the whole machine is very quite all you hear is the standard motor whine and belt noise.
One can easily talk over the machine and no vibration what so ever.
All that is left now is fabricating up a dust collection point cause it makes a whole lot of chips in a hurry.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS