Old Iron Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer

New User
Dan
I posted the other day asking about the Delta 28-350 20" Band saw. I read A LOT of info on the old iron site about the machine and everyone (at least there) seems to really like the machine, so I figured I'd go take a look.

Well, from what I had been reading this machine was in real good condition. It's a 1964 and looks like it hasn't been used much. The man was asking $600 and I ended up getting the machine for $545 and one bottle (1 lb) of my honey. :wsmile:

Brought it home, cleaned the table, changed the switch and the cord and she is officially making sawdust. Cut some feet for a canning cabinet I'm making the wife.

I want to make/get a fence for it as I plan to use it to resaw, and most likely replace the guide bearings with new just to be safe. If I get real board this winter I'll get it back to the original gray.:dontknow:

I really want the Meber woodguy is selling but this will have to do for now. :wsmile:

Pics here: http://www.sogracing.com/bandsaw/index.html

Thanks for looking, and I have more honey for sale too!!! :gar-La;

Dan

jhreed

New User
james
NOW MAN, THAT IS A SAW. I WONDER WHAT A NEW ONE LIKE THAT WOULD COST? EVERYTHING I SAW EXCEPT THE PAINT ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKED NEW.
CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR GRANDSON WILL USE THAT SAW.
JAMES

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Very nice. That looks to be in GREAT shape. You got yourself a very nice bandsaw for an excellent price.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a VERY nice saw, and I believe you will be very happy with it. I think you made the right choice, and getting a bigger saw like the one Woodguy has is always something you can do later. Having two bandsaws if you can swing it is a real plus.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice looking saw! I am new to the bandsaw thing so take the following with a grain of salt but are these pre-adjustment pictures? The blade seems to be riding way toward the back of the wheel and it looks like the teeth of the blade maybe be set back into the lateral guides. <edit> I see it now, no tension on the blade, definitely pre-tuneup :).

Oh, and the green isn't bad at all!

Anyway I am jealous!
Salem

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Dang boy,what ya load that sucker with??? Now that was when they made BS You is ready to rock an roll. :icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

mxracer

New User
Dan
Thanks for the comments guys.:wsmile:

Salem,

The blade does not have much tension on it in the pictures but it is riding where it's supposed to. The saw will take a blade from 3/8" to 1". The blade on it now is 3/8", so it is sitting on the back side of the wheel and the guides do cover most of the blade since they are wide enough to handle a 1" blade as well. The back of the blade should run to the back of the wheel like that and barely make contact with the bearings in the guide.

And don't feel bad at all, up until a few days ago I would not have known that either. :gar-Bi
Ken,
Believe it or not we loaded it with a hand truck into my enclosed trailer. I have a 7x12 enlcosed trailer with a high ceiling. IT BARELY FIT :elvis: When we stood it up if the top of the trailer wasn't thin aluminum and flexed a little I'd have been making the trip up there one more time with and open trailer. Once it was in there it was fine though, strapped the heck out of it and hauled it home. It aint light.:gar-La;

I am also going to weld up a mobile base for it this week so I can roll it around the shop.
Dan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I knew you would like that saw.

Looks like it was in a high school somewhere for a while, maybe had very little use.

Someday i hope to have room for tools like that.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Dan,
Everything I have read says the center of the blade should ride slightly in front of the center of the tire. Also if the teeth are within the blade guide the set will eat up the guide blocks. On the delta I own the thrust bearing can be adjusted forward to meet the back of the blade (instead of adjusting the blade back to touch the bearing.

I am going to go scheme how I can get a 20" saw in my shop :).
Salem

mxracer

New User
Dan
Dan,
Everything I have read says the center of the blade should ride slightly in front of the center of the tire. Also if the teeth are within the blade guide the set will eat up the guide blocks. On the delta I own the thrust bearing can be adjusted forward to meet the back of the blade (instead of adjusting the blade back to touch the bearing.

I am going to go scheme how I can get a 20" saw in my shop :).
Salem

Good point, makes sense. I'll do some more reading, what I quoted above was from a couple of local old timers. Might be the lazy mans way of adjustments. :wsmile:

mxracer

New User
Dan
Well, I stand happily and humbly corrected.

Found the owners manual online, read the setup instructions and Salem is 100% right. Needed to adjust the blade to the center of the wheel and then adjust the guides and bearings to the blade.

I guess it's good the previous owner didn't do much with it, cause that is how he had it setup and another person told me it was right as well. :eusa_doh:

Appreciate the heads up Salem. :eek:ccasion1

I'm always learning. :wsmile:

Dan

Planedesign

New User
Brian
Great saw at a great price. I prefer that vintage (50s-60s) of Delta/Rockwell 20" saw, as the tires are easier to find and replace. The later version of this saw had a groove in the wheel for a semi-proprietary tire that is getting harder and $$$ to get. You won't find a 20" modern saw out there to compete with it in capabilities or quality, with out spending over 2K for an Italian or other similar saw. The footprint isn't that much bigger than a 14", but much bigger capacity and power. It will both scroll and resaw well with the right blades. The Powermatic 20" is another commonly encountered saw that compares well with this one. The Powermatic is actually built a little heavier, but the Delta wins on style points. Other similar saws of the same vintage/quality/size to look out for would be the Craftsman/Parks 18", or a Walker Turner 16".

Here's a photo of the Delta 14", the Delta 20", the Powermatic 20", and the Powermatic 20" with extended height all together for comparison.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/planedesign/garagebandsaws.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS