Old dog new tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick

New User
Dick
Hi everybody!! Retired from heavy construction back in 91, Sold everything and
moved aboard a 40' sailboat. Spent the next ten years crusing the intracoastal waterway. Ended up in the little fishing village of Oriental, N.C. where we built a small cabin and workshop. Woodworking is a new hobbie and I have a lot to learn. Thanks for letting me join your group. Dick.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Dick. What sort of woodworking do you like to do? Be sure you get some pictures posted. We love pictures of fine woodworking. Or in my case, somewhat ok woodworking. Shop pictures are also a big hit here.

Dick

New User
Dick
Hi Clay. Havent picked a major yet, ben busy seting up the shop. You know the drill, where do i want the Bandsaw? Should i put the jointer out by the :saw: tablesaw?How mutch lighting and what kind? Do i really need a dust collector?
Will try to post some pictures of the shop if i can figure out how to do it. Computers are a strange but fascinating new tool for this old fart. Wish me luck. Dick.

M

McRabbet

Welcome aboard, Dick. It's always fun to set up a new shop -- the joy of buying tools and arranging them so you have room for more! Oh, and workspace, too, that's important. As for pictures, you need to request a Photo Gallery -- just click on Other Links on the main menu bar and select that option -- one of the Admins or Moderators will fix you up and just look at the FAQ forum to get your answers to "How Do I?" do this or that. Lots of good people here with plenty of expertise to draw on -- enjoy! We've even got an expert on Lighting!

cskipper

Cathy
Glad to have you on board! If you ask you will find lots of suggestions of how to arrange your shop. That is fun - my advise is to use mobile bases because you'll change your mind as you add other pieces. Please jump in and enjoy the site.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, sounds like your living your retirement to it's fullest. Living on sailboat sound very exciting. I look forward to your input in the forums. See you around!!!

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome to the site Dick. I am glad you elected to join us and I look forward to reading your input to our forums as well as seeing photos of any projects you are working on.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ahoy mate, and welcome aboard :!:

Good luck with you new shop. Some of our members have displayed theirs in the gallery--check it out.

Be sure and put your "balloon" on our member's map
There are a couple of other NCWWer sailors in your area with somewhat similar stories. Bodger, located between Grantsboro and Arapahoe handcrafts beautiful chairs and Helmswatch is near Aurora.

Enjoy,
Sapwood

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Glad you could join us Dick, youre a smart cookie to manage such a rewarding path.

Great choice on hobbies too, nothing I know of gratifies me more than working with the wood.

cad

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Ahoy & Avast there mate!

Irene and I also lived on our boats for 10 years and then bought "Duke's Landing here on South Creek, near Aurora. Oriental is a great town. Welcome tour merry band of men and women. The boss and I also are just now taking up woodworking. Our shop is smaller then the smallest boat we lived on but we have a view of South Creek from it!

Feel free if you are up our way to drop on by. We can sit in our shop, stare at our only two tools and tell lies to each other about our sailing days.

Duke & "The Boss" (Irene)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am an example of the old dog learning new tricks. Welcome to our little family here at North Carolina Woodworkers. Being one of the few female's in the family I hope your wife will embrace the woodworking and find it to be a very rewarding hobby. My husband turned his shop over to me and just shakes his head when he occasionally comes in. I found woodworking at age 55 just one year before retiring. Couldn't enjoy anything more. Good luck to you and your wife and welcome back to dry land.
Lorraine:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors