Old DeWalt RAS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
We have an old DeWalt RAS at work and we are trying to bring it up to safety code. There is an adjustable bar in front of the blade that has what seems to me kickback fingers. Does anyone know what these are for and how to use them?

Last edited:

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Re: Old DeWalt Radial arm saw question

back in the day I used a RAS all the time. I never experienced any kickback whatsoever. Since on a RAS the blade is spinning away from you verses a TS toward you thus the concern for kickback. Also kickback usually happens when the material is between blade and fence. RAS's don not present this issue. Personally I believe an anti kick device would create more of a issue than it'd solve. JMHO

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Re: Old DeWalt Radial arm saw question

Yes that is an anti-kickback device. You use it for ripping ONLY. Ripping on a RAS is not for the faint of heart. It's more like a death wish. Back many years ago I only had a RAS. So that being my only saw I ripped with it. The problem is that ripping thinner stock can result in the blade riding up onto the stock with very interesting results. Like taking a 1/4 in. piece of ply spinning it around and chopping it into small pieces and throwing it all over the shop. If you do decide to rip, be very careful and set the blade at least 1/4 in. in the table. I still have and use my RAS for heavy cut offs only.

Pop
:XXcompute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS