Old Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

New User
Pete
Yes, that's interesting, perhaps they're glazed too? sorry-j/k about that.
For the sake of argument could not a more recently harvested log/beam of the same wood species be acquired for a cheaper price? I mean Capitalism is pretty good, but do folks pay that much for patina?
~H

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Yes, that's interesting, perhaps they're glazed too? sorry-j/k about that.
For the sake of argument could not a more recently harvested log/beam of the same wood species be acquired for a cheaper price? I mean Capitalism is pretty good, but do folks pay that much for patina?
~H

My thoughts, exactly. The prices being asked for on some 'reclaimed' wood are ridiculous, imo. When you come down to it, it is just used wood.

Oak beam 47x9x7 = 20.5625 bf. @ $300 = $14.59/bf

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Yes, the recycled barnwood has really gone nuts. Very trendy and the cache is being driven by interior designers.

Around me, I've seen old cypress barn boards going for as much as $7/bf!!

I remember when I was a kid the way some people got rid of an old barn was to strip the metal roof off and torch it.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
My thoughts, exactly. The prices being asked for on some 'reclaimed' wood are ridiculous, imo. When you come down to it, it is just used wood.

Oak beam 47x9x7 = 20.5625 bf. @ $300 = $14.59/bf

I was quoted $40/lft on 6"x6" hewn barn beams from CLT building supply houses last summer. Ended up finding a large local source less than half of that fortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS