Ok guys opinions and critiques Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I spent a fair amount of time sketching out the scrollwork for my bracket feet on the monster chest of drawers. I think I came up with something that looks pretty good for the scale of the peice, but figured I'd ask for opinions. So what do you guys think of this scroll pattern.

bracketfeetscroll.jpg

Give me your honest opinions and suggestions. Remember the peice is chippendale style. BTW, I love the W&H molder. It really cut a clean molding.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
John, if I am looking at your design correctly I am assuming you will use your molder to shape your stock first and then cut this profile on the ends of your feet. Is that correct? If so, how well will this pattern work with the profile you are going to mold your stock to? The only portions I guess I would be concerned with are those two sharp points toward the middle of the design. Its hard for me to imagine how they will look scrolled on the end of a molded piece of stock. Please let me know if I am looking at it incorrectly.

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
woodguy1975 said:
I spent a fair amount of time sketching out the scrollwork for my bracket feet on the monster chest of drawers. I think I came up with something that looks pretty good for the scale of the peice, but figured I'd ask for opinions. So what do you guys think of this scroll pattern.

bracketfeetscroll.jpg

Give me your honest opinions and suggestions. Remember the peice is chippendale style. BTW, I love the W&H molder. It really cut a clean molding.

Thanks,

John

John,

Just my opinion mind you, but I find that design a bit too busy for a chippendale style. One of a kind though. Make one and set it under the chest, it is easier to see what it looks like when you actually have one to look at.

Mike

b4man

New User
Barbara
Beautiful design! My concern would be the shallow cut in the top of the design and the sharpness of the point mid way down. I don't know how thick the piece you're cutting is and maybe my concerns aren't valid. Again, I love the design. Very artistic.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
John, I just looked at your web site and realized that is a piece of the molded stock you have your pattern on. It makes a little more sense to me now. Like, Mike mentioned, I think I would go ahead and cut one out to see how it looks up against the case.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow - good to see you've got that molder going! Can't wait to see how those feet turn out!

Regarding the design, as far as I know (which ain't too far!), the Chippendale look has more of a vertical component. See the pics I attached below, hopefully this shows what I mean. I think I would lessen the design toward the smaller end, in favor of putting some more wood down at the very base in the corners.

Just my 2¢ :)

Attachments

• 480-F.jpg
    480-F.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 220
  • ChipOgee.jpg
    ChipOgee.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 230
  • ogeelge.jpg
    ogeelge.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 217

Monty

New User
Monty
I think I just figured out what looks really different - the scroll pattern on the examples I posted are all on the top (convex) portion of the molding, with very little detail down in the bottom (concave) face. If you had a point that was down too far below the convex face, it would be pointing "in" instead of down... does that make sense?

M

McRabbet

John,

I can't recall seeing any Chippendale bracket feet with 3 curves like this -- have you considered just two (more like the classical ones)? I'd suggest eliminating the very small one at the top right and carrying the middle curve into a somewhat thicker (and stronger) transition to the end point. Just my .02 ....

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
mshel said:
John,

Just my opinion mind you, but I find that design a bit too busy for a chippendale style. One of a kind though. Make one and set it under the chest, it is easier to see what it looks like when you actually have one to look at.

Mike

That is a problem for me. I just have enough stock to do the actual peices. I would have to spend time glueing up stock, planing, and molding to mock it up. I think I am going to simplify the design. maybe I'll glue up some poplar to run a sample peice that I can check.

Thanks for the input guys.

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
The problem with going shorter is the size of this chest. It is so large having small feet would look really odd. I don't want the chest to look like it it is on pedistales.

Again, I think removal of the second point and beefing up the transition would be a good way to go. The molding does have plenty of meat. It was run from 1.25" stock. The thinest section is a strong 5/8".

Thanks,

John

insomniac said:
I think I just figured out what looks really different - the scroll pattern on the examples I posted are all on the top (convex) portion of the molding, with very little detail down in the bottom (concave) face. If you had a point that was down too far below the convex face, it would be pointing "in" instead of down... does that make sense?

woodguy1975

New User
John
It took me sleeping on it to realize what you kept saying Monty. :) I really think I've got it now. I'll post so pics of the revised design tonight.

Thanks,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Travis Porter said:
I'm with insomniac. I think you need to curve the outside edge as well.

Yes, that is part of the molding. I'll include that in the new template as well to reflect the bracket feet shape.

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Rev 2 complete (Boy did the first one suck!)

Ok, I've got a design I'm really happy with now. What do you think?

bracketfeetscrollrev2.jpg

I've got a bunch of mortising and dovetailing done tonight. Since this is my first time I have to make up my mind about the support structure as I go. It takes a little while to make sure it is all straight. Here is a quick pic of the worst of the two top dovetails. Considering this is the bad side, I'm pretty happy. They aren't totally cleaned up yet. I'll finished them off when I have the crown attached.

topdovetails.jpg

Thanks,

John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: Rev 2 complete (Boy did the first one suck!)

John, if those are all hand-cut again, you suck! ;)

I like the look of the new drawing, much more what I would expect in Chippendale, not that the original, in reflection, was bad either. Nice work!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
John,

That is more in line with traditional Chippendale style. When I saw your revised one, I thought to myself, hmmmm been there done that, meaning it is very similar to those I have made in the past. Chest is looking more chesty every day. Great job. Can't wait to see it finished.

Mike

woodguy1975

New User
John
Re: Rev 2 complete (Boy did the first one suck!)

Yep, hand cut. :-D

NCPete said:
John, if those are all hand-cut again, you suck! ;)

I like the look of the new drawing, much more what I would expect in Chippendale, not that the original, in reflection, was bad either. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS