Oil or wax? To prevent tools from rusting...

Trey1984

Trey
User
I've been using 3 n 1 oil on all my hand tools. My building is not heated, cooled or insulated yet (know this plays big factor). My older planes haven't been giving me no problem but my knew low angle jack has been trying to rust seems like every chance it gets. Ive been keeping it saturated with oil and its been helping and also been keeping in the house. I've seen lie Nelson sells some type of oil and I'm sure if that's what they recommend is got to be good. Does anyone use it if so how often, how much, etc
..I've also heard to wax them just like table saw tops and so forth. Is there one better than the other. Is there something you don't have to wipe off before use. I have a 2 1/2 and 4 month old so shop time is very limited. With that being said I try to take advantage of every little thing I can to get extra time building and less time with maintenance and stuff. But with that being said I know it's got to be done. Just like to not have to to do it as much. Thanks

Attachments

• 16283904680084244251897265039025.jpg
    16283904680084244251897265039025.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 16283905468447602192930505134607.jpg
    16283905468447602192930505134607.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • 16283905872623361746660362124432.jpg
    16283905872623361746660362124432.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 126

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
06026 is their wax bases anti-rust, but don't know what it might leave on wood. I use good old J&J wax.
There are anti-rust bags to store things in. T9, and other newer products.

Curious as the more pure cast iron is, the more rust resistant. Steel rusts far quicker.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
The oil that LN sells (jojoba) won't work any better than 3-in-1, but it does help reduce chemical exposure. My hand tools live in a large Dutch Tool Chest with Zerust packs, and I routinely wipe them down with a light coat of mineral oil.

My garage is more or less conditioned, so rust isn't a problem, but it's a system that I want to maintain, in the event that my shop situation ever changes.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I've been using 3 n 1 oil on all my hand tools. My building is not heated, cooled or insulated yet (know this plays big factor). My older planes haven't been giving me no problem but my knew low angle jack has been trying to rust seems like every chance it gets. Ive been keeping it saturated with oil and its been helping and also been keeping in the house. I've seen lie Nelson sells some type of oil and I'm sure if that's what they recommend is got to be good. Does anyone use it if so how often, how much, etc
..I've also heard to wax them just like table saw tops and so forth. Is there one better than the other. Is there something you don't have to wipe off before use. I have a 2 1/2 and 4 month old so shop time is very limited. With that being said I try to take advantage of every little thing I can to get extra time building and less time with maintenance and stuff. But with that being said I know it's got to be done. Just like to not have to to do it as much. Thanks
My out building has no insulation, nor any HVAC, but I do run a dehumidifier when the humidity is very high or when it rains. I do not have any rust problems.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Johnson’s Wax and CRC 3-36 are what I use. Both work. I keep my planes in a closed cabinet with a 15 watt Goldenrod heat stick at the bottom. Just enough heat to raise the temp of the cabinet above the outside ambient temp.

Trey1984

Trey
User
My out building has no insulation, nor any HVAC, but I do run a dehumidifier when the humidity is very high or when it rains. I do not have any rust problems.
That's something I've been thinking about till I get it insulated and I'm eventually going to heat and cool bc being so small won't take much (12x16). I know nothing about dehumidifiers... Need too do little research on them that way know what size I need if I decide to go that route. would like to have one anywys

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Camelia Oil is what I use. Does not interfere with wood and finishes. Got mine from Highland Hardware.
Use it on plane irons and chisels after a sharpening session.,

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
That's something I've been thinking about till I get it insulated and I'm eventually going to heat and cool bc being so small won't take much (12x16). I know nothing about dehumidifiers... Need too do little research on them that way know what size I need if I decide to go that route. would like to have one anywys
De-humidifiers. They are junk. Does not matter if you buy a $120 one form the BORG, or a $1200 one. I wish I could tell you what brand is better.

Primary failure mode of cheap ones is the pump. So, if you can raise it for gravity drain, easier.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
This past week I traveled up to NE Ohio and carried my small Delta lathe broken down in the bed of my truck. I had a cover over the bed to keep weather out. Prior to leaving, I cleaned the bed good and coated with Johnsons Paste wax. On the way back, I drove through a torrential rain in WVA for about 15 minutes. The lathe didn't get wet, but when I unpacked, the bed of the lathe is coated with a layer of surface rust. So now I'm not so sure about Johnson's Paste Wax. I think I'll be using a different product for rust preventative! BTW, my shop is air conditioned so I don't need to worry about rust at home :)

Trey1984

Trey
User
This past week I traveled up to NE Ohio and carried my small Delta lathe broken down in the bed of my truck. I had a cover over the bed to keep weather out. Prior to leaving, I cleaned the bed good and coated with Johnsons Paste wax. On the way back, I drove through a torrential rain in WVA for about 15 minutes. The lathe didn't get wet, but when I unpacked, the bed of the lathe is coated with a layer of surface rust. So now I'm not so sure about Johnson's Paste Wax. I think I'll be using a different product for rust preventative! BTW, my shop is air conditioned so I don't need to worry about rust at home :)
If get a chance read the article that Mark (tarhead) was talking about... Jonsons paste wax was one of the thing's they tested. They tested a bunch of stuff and was surprised about some of stuff that didn't do so well.

Trey1984

Trey
User
If get a chance read the article that Mark (tarhead) was talking about... Jonsons paste wax was one of the thing's they tested. They tested a bunch of stuff and was surprised about some of stuff that didn't do so well.
I'm going to order some crc 3 -36 off amazon this week. I went to Lowe's other day to getjohnsons paste wax but they don't carry it but kinda glad they didn't after reading the article.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Before I built a climate controlled bench room in the corner of my shop, I stored my hand tools in a couple ways to protect them from humidity.

I started with large plastic bin, then went to a cabinet with a sealed door. I tried various methods - dehumidifier rod, Damp Rid, camphor cubes, waxing tools, but I constantly fought rust. Once a pit starts it’s a cancer. And leaving a tool out over night is very bad.

Ultimately, it was climate controlled bench room that worked. My hand tools have been stored in the open there over 5 years and I never have to do anything,

My conclusion is air conditioning, or keep your tools in your house, or build a small air conditioned room, or built some type storage room where you can keep a dehumidifier running.

But if you keep them in an uncontrolled environment wax, oil or whatever you do, will constantly fight a losing battle.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Camelia Oil is what I use. Does not interfere with wood and finishes. Got mine from Highland Hardware.
Use it on plane irons and chisels after a sharpening session.,
When my daughter went to Japan that's the one thing I asked her to bring back. She had to go to a swordsmith who questioned her need then happily sold her a small bottle when she explained it was for her woodworking father.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS