Ohia Wood

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
There are a few woods that are common to Pacific Islands Most known is Koa, then I guess Monkey Pod (both part of the Acacia family) Kiawe (Kee-ah-vey Mesquite family though originally from South America) and there are others. One type is the Ohia (Part of the Myrtle family)
Ohia is about 30% harder than Rock Maple, but the graining has a lot of inconsistencies to it. Anyway, I got a piece from a acquaintance and really didn't have enough to do much with it. So I made it part of the miter square.
As you can see it has a similar color to Iroko (African teak), but it sands very differently. One thing I do not like about it, is it dusts up a lot whether you scrap or sand. It also is hard to cure and usually will twist when drying. But, it is nice when you have a decent piece.
If you ever Come to Hawaii and eat at the high end restaurant Merrimans their ornamental pillars are Ohia.

Thought I'd share ... :)
Ohia Wood (1).jpg

Attachments

• Ohia Wood (2).jpg
    Ohia Wood (2).jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Ohia Wood (3).jpg
    Ohia Wood (3).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • Ohia Wood (4).jpg
    Ohia Wood (4).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
HEE, Hee, you said Oy vey!

Is that a "Banggood" miter gauge?

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
It is, when I got the saw, the miter was pretty beat up and it required calibration to get it anything accurate on every use. So, I figured I wou;ld give it a whirl. Actually it is a pretty nice miter for the price, One thing I realized it required a .045 i.d. and a .75 o.d. shim to set down correctly on this saw at the miter. As fate had it, the stainless washers fender washers I had were .048 which was perfect and its o.d. was .73 so , easy fix.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I last visited Maui, Emaliano Achaval gifted me a piece of Kiawe. I was able to show him the small box I made with it at the AAW in Raleigh. Somewhere on the forum there's a thread. Maybe next visit I can find a piece of Ohia.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS