Oh No - is this a wood eating beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Was starting to dimension some of the wood from the "Walnut" Wood run from last September and noticed 5-6 of these beetles as shown in the picture. Does this look like a powder post beetle or some other wood eating beetle? And if so, does that mean I should just destroy all this wood? If I have a stack of wood in another part of my workshop, is that most likely infected as well?

IMG_5482_1_.JPG

Can't say I've ever uttered these words before but I sure hope this is a cockroach and not a wood beetle.

Any thoughts based on this picture.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Powder post beetles are tiny. They leave pinhole size holes and small mounds of sawdust by them. That is one of the earth's oldest creatures.

At least the cockroach's here don't fly - at least I've never seen them do so. The one's in Louisiana were much bigger and flew.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
Yup. Brother, I live halfway in the woods and have a creek along the edge of my backyard. I regularly treat my home with professional insecticides and still get the occasional "waterbug" lol. It trips me out how some people call them waterbugs because they don't want to say the word roach.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Yup. Brother, I live halfway in the woods and have a creek along the edge of my backyard. I regularly treat my home with professional insecticides and still get the occasional "waterbug" lol. It trips me out how some people call them waterbugs because they don't want to say the word roach.

So true, when we first got married we lived in Southwest Georgia and I told my wife they were just palmetto bugs. It was years before she found out they were cockroaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors