Ogee profile on circular base

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
I'm making an hourglass and need some advice on the bases. The plans show an ogee profile around the circumference of each base but this is something I haven't done before. I turned a guide block out of pine that I could stick to the base and let the bit bearing ride along it but I wonder how smart it would be to basically control the feed by hand. I could make what amounted to a circle-cutting jig and use that to keep the base in place while I rotated it through the bit. Or I could glue the base to a faceplate and turn the profile myself which would make sanding and finishing a lot easier.

Anyone have suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

Finally, the base and spindles are red oak. Any suggestions on how to finish red oak? I don't necessarily want to change the color (although something darker wouldn't bother me) but I would like a gloss to it.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I'm making an hourglass and need some advice on the bases. The plans show an ogee profile around the circumference of each base but this is something I haven't done before. I turned a guide block out of pine that I could stick to the base and let the bit bearing ride along it but I wonder how smart it would be to basically control the feed by hand. I could make what amounted to a circle-cutting jig and use that to keep the base in place while I rotated it through the bit. Or I could glue the base to a faceplate and turn the profile myself which would make sanding and finishing a lot easier.

Anyone have suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

Finally, the base and spindles are red oak. Any suggestions on how to finish red oak? I don't necessarily want to change the color (although something darker wouldn't bother me) but I would like a gloss to it.

Bruce, if I understand you right you are putting a guide block to the piece that you want the shape on so that the bearing can run against that block? Let me ask - what is the thickness of the base you are wanting to shape - all of the ogee shaping that I have done the bearing would ride on the piece I am shaping - if you are more comfortable turning it on your lathe that would be the easiest to sand like you said - but if you want the top to match you might not get it exactly like the bottom -

As far as staining oak I always use semigloss or gloss poly on my oak projects - it doesn't change the color that much but still gives it a little color M2CW HTH

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
If you have a router table, a birdsmouth jig works great for this. You could also jerryrig your router so it sits on top of the birdsmouth.

Either way, you want your round piece to sit in the V of the jig and you rotate your piece by hand. Leave the router fixed (in a table or some other fashion from the top).

As you have a pattern block, you would want the pattern block to ride on the edges of the jig.

I did a crude sketch of how this would look.

routerbirdsmouth.png

View image in gallery

Of course, this assumes I followed the question you asked :)

Jim

PChristy

New User
Phillip
If you have a router table, a birdsmouth jig works great for this. You could also jerryrig your router so it sits on top of the birdsmouth.

Either way, you want your round piece to sit in the V of the jig and you rotate your piece by hand. Leave the router fixed (in a table or some other fashion from the top).

As you have a pattern block, you would want the pattern block to ride on the edges of the jig.

I did a crude sketch of how this would look.

Of course, this assumes I followed the question you asked :)

Jim

That is a cool jig Jim - glad this question was asked - I would have never thought about that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS