Of Amazon and a Powermatic 31A combo belt/disk sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
For a variety of reasons, I had decided on a Powermatic 31A Disk/Belt Sander and for a different set of reasons, I decided on trying to purchase it from Amazon. Yes their price was good $1099, but I was able match the price other places. In fact I was ready to pull the trigger at a place that I have some good experiences with, when ordering and having shipped floor standing power tools.

When I told Gail, she reminded me about the large number of $25 amazon coupons I had amassed from my holiday shopping. Using those would really lower the cost my actual cost.

I was leery about Amazon shipping to me by truck and how long would it take. I ordered online on Wed the 26th, On Thurs, a local trucking company which serves as a drop off/local delivery depot called to say that ABP Trucking had just notified them that a shipment for me was to be dropped off on Friday the 28 in the morning. Would I like it Fri afternoon or Monday morning. I choose Friday.

And it was in my garage at 4:00.:elvis::swoon::elvis::swoon:. No fuss, no muss. The driver unloaded and using his palette jack, rolled it into my garage. And if you look you can see that there is not one ding in the boxes and opening them later confirmed that there was absolutely no damage.
:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

IMG_2669.jpg

View image in gallery

So for 2 day truck delivery with lift gate service, how much did I pay? $0.00:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi
I'm impressed.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
there is only one problem with this Steve..... it wasn't delivered HERE!:rotflm: Nice score big fella. now git it dirty!:gar-Bi

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Congrats on the addition Steve! I had always wondered how large purchases on Amazon were shipped. I am glad it was stress free for you. Enjoy.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Fred and I will come over to properly calobrate it fou you, Be advised tho if we cannot accomplish this in situ,we willl hve to remove to our shop for repeire and cqlibrqtion

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new tool :tool::tool::tool:and the amazing delivery story. Great hearing positive experiences. :eusa_danc

M

McRabbet

That is great news, Steve and a great new tool. Looks like you're back to full strength and back in the shop in spades! As an aside, I have always had good experiences with items I've purchased from Amazon with very few delivery issues.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
That is great news, Steve and a great new tool. Looks like you're back to full strength and back in the shop in spades! As an aside, I have always had good experiences with items I've purchased from Amazon with very few delivery issues.

I've always had good luck with them too, but never had something that needed trucking. The keys here are that Amazon shipped the same day that I ordered. ABP Trucking seems to do great handling and so does the local delivery service. Both ABP and the local delivery service have delivered to me before and I have had great results.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice score Steve...it won't be long before tools show up _before_ we order them :)

So...any chance this baby shows up in the Classifieds for $549.59? It looks just as new as all the others :rolf:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing your good experience with Amazon and ABF. Never bought anything from Amazon yet, but now I will have some confidence. I purchased a carbide saw grinder over Ebay a few years ago. The grinder was located in Louisville, KY. The seller notified me by email that he had shipped it via ABF, and the shipping charge was $600 from Louisville to their terminal in Erie, PA where I would pick it up. The machine weighed about 400 lbs. and was shipped on one pallet. I called ABF and they confirmed the $600 charge--I drove to Louisville and picked it up. They still charged me $80 just to pick it up at their dock. The short story is that an individual will pay full price for shipping, because there are no discounts like their regular customers receive. Shipping charges from most retail suppliers is a real bargain. BTW, $600 translated to $1.20 per mile for freight, and having been in trucking for many years, we were happy to get that rate for the entire truck, at the time. I never buy anything on Ebay requiring truck freight anymore, unless its near enough I can haul it myself.:saw:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Nice sander :thumbs_up

The US freight system is pretty amazing. I ordered a 105# tractor attachment from a small retailer in Ohio and the freight depot (UPS Freight) called me the next day to schedule delivery. That was free shipping too !

-Mark

T

toolferone

What are you going to sand with it huh :rolf:!

Nice gloat.

Last edited by a moderator:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Nice score on a nice machine Steve! I've had pretty good luck with everything that I bought from Amazon, but I don't think that any of them have involved truck freight. It's nice to know that they have their act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS