Odies Oil issue…..

JayMan72

Jay
User
Hey all. I recently posted a pair of TV trays where I replaced the old tops with a Mahogany Butcher Block tops.

I sanded them to 220 and applied Odies Oil as suggested (sparingly with a non woven pad) and after it sat, I buffed off the excess with a rag, continuously swapping to a clean side. I then let it sit for 24 hours before using Odies Wax applying it the same way as the oil.

After 24 hours I bought them from my shop to the house.

After a week of use there are spots all over it that look like it’s been oiled but the surface is rough and it looks like it’s “dry” but you can only see it in raking light.

At first I thought it was just “dry spots” but as this is a butcher block style top, the spots are over multiple species of Mahogany not just happening on certain species.

I have attached a couple photos (one that’s been marked up so you can see where the issues are.)

Hopefully someone has run into this and can explain what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 93C2AF3F-0C70-4DD1-A465-BA6DC83AD462.jpeg
    93C2AF3F-0C70-4DD1-A465-BA6DC83AD462.jpeg
    826.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 3DD2D0FC-D0F0-4E83-8F18-B57039CBB516.jpeg
    3DD2D0FC-D0F0-4E83-8F18-B57039CBB516.jpeg
    868.8 KB · Views: 205

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like it was not thoroughly sanded, I would start with 180 grit and sand down to the bare wood then do the 220 very carefully - twice. Then do your finish again.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Agree with the sanding comment, but I would add to go up another grit like 320 or 400. Also, it sounds like maybe you applied too much oil in the first application. You only need a tiny amount and plenty of elbow grease to rub it into the grain. You usually should not require multiple buffing rags. Lastly, let the oil cure for at least 48 hours before applying either a second coat or a wax coat.

I would give the piece another rub down with a fine non-woven pad and see if that corrects the problem.

I've been using Odie's for the last 3 years and have yet to have a problem with it.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Is your shop air conditioned? Mine is not. Two weeks ago I finished a piece with an oil based stain and an oil based rubbed finish. I have done this many, many times without any problem. This time was a disaster. I tried the same thing again and paid more attention to what was happening. I am convinced the high heat and humidity was the problem. I moved the work inside the house and did not have a problem (except with the boss):confused:

I agree sanding may also be the problem. After sanding wet the surface without raising the grain, I use odorless thinner. Uneven sanding should be obvious if this is the problem.

Different woods also absorb finish differently. You may need to use a sealer first.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS