Odd Saw Blade Modification

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Wondering if anyone has seen something like this:

8D2C95EA-D6D2-46CD-8DD4-8879F00DB019.jpeg

Any idea what the purpose of cutting those “reliefs” oversized?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you mean the slots in the saw blade ? those are expansion slots to allow the blade to expand and contract slightly, without throwing the blade out of true ... also is supposed to reduce heat and friction for both the material and blade making it cut straighter.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Yes, the vibration slots. Those seem a bit exaggerated compared to other saw blades that I have.

Maybe it’s an older blade? The new WWII seem to have “normal” sized slots:

CD5E8793-90BA-4405-B63F-6A3679F3277E.jpeg

Strom

New User
Strom
A long time ago I had an Oldham carbide blade that looked like that. It made so much noise I sold it for an air raid siren. Just teasing. But I really hated that blade.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah the Old blades like this are before laser cutting. Now they can make the cut thin

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
For a second I thought you were talking about the arbor insert. It looks like an old Shopsmith blade with their 1-1/4 in. arbor hole.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The marks on the body of the blade could be from a sharpener using a flap wheel to clean off blade. Blade looks like an old Craftsman 40 tooth to me. Teeth don't slant forward enough to be a WWII. FYI, I have a freshly sharpened WWII for sale. Cost is $65 FOB my shop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS