Odd (apparently) sized brad point bit

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Folks;
I'm working on building a baby crib and need a 17/32 inch brad point bit, or possibly a 14mm bit, to set the dowels I've made. Ordered one from Amazon, but naturally lost in transit. I live near Raleigh and have tried the local suppliers like Klingspor's as well as Woodcraft in Charlotte without success in finding one locally. I can order from Rockler and/or try Amazon again, but wondered if anyone in the Raleigh area has such a bit they may want to sell or lend?

Thanks; Ted

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have a full set. Need tolook tonight and see if I have that one

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Century tool on Amazon was where I ordered originally. And that's the one lost in transit. I suppose I will order again. And process a refund on the one lost.

I have a set that goes to 1/2" but over that size seems to be unusual. 14mm seems more prevalent, but not sure if the extra 0.020" will make the hole too loose.

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the responses.
I've reordered the 17/32 from Century and also a 14mm from another vendor. So, we'll see if I end up with two bits............

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
If your grinder has a sharp corner on the wheel it is easy to sharpen a standard drill bit into a brad point.
I have done it several times when I needed an odd size.

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
That is an interesting idea that I had not considered. However, I don't have a standard bit that size either, or I might take the chance to ream a 1/2" hole. I will try to store that bit of info in the dark recesses of memory for a future time though.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Search for machinists tools and supplies in your area. They're likely to have a 17/32 bit with a 1/2" shank. You can grind your own brad point on it if you want to.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Did you consider using a half-inch bit and sanding a shade off the dowels? You will only have to sand 1/64 off of the dowels.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS